Volvo Penta SX Universal joint replacement

stimps

Cadet
Hi, I have 1997 four winns 170 with a 4.3gl volvo penta and cobra sx outdrive.(Sn T0916447) Prod No. 3868389. When turning there is significant vibration that worsens with more lock, it is smooth in a straight line and running a flat trim is quieter than trimmed fully down. Gimbal was changed and Uj's greased but this has not made a whole lot of difference. The UJ seemed smooth but I now think I should change them as it is pointing to being worn.
The question is can I use the cheap replacement spider option (385012) in even the sierra type brand and can this be done without removing the assembly from the outdrive. Or, should I really replace the whole shaft with either the Sierra or Volvo original unit (which I think is now 3860842). If a whole new shaft is an upgrade then I will go that way. As a seperate question is there a way to tell what length shift cable I would need for this boat, I am trying to get parts together to minimise time out of the water and assume removal and measurement is the normal way.
All help and advice greatly appreciated.:)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta SX Universal joint replacement

Yes, you can replace just the ujoints. No need to replace the complete assembly.
Which ujoints depends on which type keepers you have. Do you have the C shaped keepers on the inside of the ujoint cap, or a snap ring on the outside of the cap.

stimps

Cadet

Thanks Don, I can't remember off the top of my head. Is there any advantage of the post 2000 assembly. It comes with a longer screw, does this imply there was a problem with the older units. Would it be smoother/better than a rebuilt 1997 unit. Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No advantage to using the newer ujoints on a 4.3. The ujoints were upgraded as the higher HP engines came into existance.