Volvo sterndrive ?trim tab?

Norm Malcosky

Seaman
My "new to me" 1997 Chris Craft 32 Crowne with twin 5.7 liter (250 HP)engines has Volvo SX sterndrives. This fall when winterizing the engines, I noted that neither stern drive had "trim tabs". My earlier boat with 280 Volvo stern drives had trim tabs that were adjusted according to a set of factory recommendations. I belive the Starboard was set at 5 deg and the Port was 20 deg. I was told this adjustment stopped "steering wander" at low speeds.<br /><p><br />Could the previous owner (who is unknown) simply have removed these trim tabs to reduce drag - more speed?? or could this pair of stern drives been set up without them - at the factory ?? :confused:

Walt T

Lieutenant
Re: Volvo sterndrive ?trim tab?

I wouldnt worry about the tabs. Volvo does have a recommendation as to how to set the trim tabs, but in my own experience, they really don't do anything. I cannot see or feel any difference in the boats handling with or without them. However, on your particular hull, you may or may not feel a difference. The owner probably removed them to make room for the props. Some props will hit those tabs on Volvos.

Norm Malcosky

Seaman
Re: Volvo sterndrive ?trim tab?

Dieselwalt - Thanks for the feedback. Good point, I did not even think of the props being too big. Next spring I will have to check to see if clearances are the reason for the lack of tabs. The props are SS 15x17, but are currently in the propshop for some minor nick removal. <br /><br />erie_guy :)