volvo penta low revs does it matter?

terryc

Seaman
A friend of mine has recently purchased a fibreglass 23ft centre cab weight approx 4500lbs with Volvo penta AQ271 matched to a duo prop. He says maximum revs are 3600. I know on an outboard this would be bad, Is it equally as bad for an inboard. At 3600rpm 26knots. Thanks, Terry

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: volvo penta low revs does it matter?

Yes Terry it does matter on an inboard as well. Has his boat ever went over 3600 rpm? If not and the engine is in good working order then it sounds like he needs to try reducing the prop pitch some. I can't tell you how much but maybe someone else here can. Hope this helps.<br /><br />James

terryc

Seaman

Thanks for the reply James. So far he's only reached 3600 rpm with full throttle for half a minute. He's only owned the boat for 2 months. It appears to be in very good condition. He mainly travels at 2000 to 2500 rpm with some cruising at 3000 rpm. The handbook says max 4200 to 4500rpm. If the low rev's is critical then he will have to see if the duo prop can be repitched. I will keep you posted as to how it goes. Many thanks, <br />Terry.

terryc

Seaman

Here's an update. We found that fuel was leaking at fuel line connection into carburettor, which we quickly fixed. Took the boat out this morning and on the way home gave it full throttle for a short time and it easily reached 4000 rpm and would have gone more if required, so we feel much better about prop staying the same. <br />The only other problem at the moment is that the motor takes forever to start when it is cold, this is our next mission of investigation.