OMC v. Merc v. Volvo

MFG197

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just sold my 19' outboard powered runabout :) <br />Now I am looking for a trailerable 21-25'cuddy for overnighting at the Club or weekending away. Maybe a Sundowner, SeaRay CC/OV (maybe a DA or WE), Eclipse. Any Input Accepted...<br /><br />Question: Should I try to find a boat with a Merc or Volvo becuase OMC is defunct, or does it not matter. Also, if I find a boat with an OMC should I use it as a bargaining chip? (ie. parts availability, service, etc.)<br /><br />Post Away!

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: OMC v. Merc v. Volvo

Stay away from OMC electric shift sterndrives because parts are becomeing very hard to come by.OMC stiringers from 79 to 81 were hydros and have obsolete lower units, but can be converted to mechnical shift lowers.Stringers from 82 to 86 were really not that bad but you will have a hard time finding anyone that will work on them so you'll need to keep that in mind.OMC worked thru the early problems they had with the Cobra drive and if all the updates have been done I don't have a big problem with them.Mercru is Mercru.Look for leaking u joint seals or worn steering pivots.V.P.look for water in gearoil.They are hard to reseal .

MFG197

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks hondon.<br /><br />the boats i am looking for are from the late 80's through the 90's. how do i know if updates were done? (besides asking).

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Since you have an idea of what you want, now is the time to do alittle footwork around the local shops.You are contemplating buying used,and that means that this thing was a trade in,impulse purchase,divorce sale,lemon,etc,etc etc.So you,ll need to talk to the techs around town and find out what they prefer to work on.Since you are not new to this hobby I'dd suggest the one you've been using if you have a good dialouge.If you are considering a Cobra, look at the color of the shift cable.If that cable is black that means it is the original cable from 86 to around 88. If that cable has'nt been changed then it is a sure bet that the new gearset has not been incorporated.That's not nessesarily a bad thing as I 've seen many Cobras doing just fine with straight cut gears.Kind of a wishy washy response.To firm it up ,get a Mercruiser.