Trim and Tilt for a Volvo Penta 270 1986

Jmorrell588

Seaman
I have a situation where I cannot get the trim and tilt for the outdrive to come up. It is still in the water at the dock. Could someone explain to me how I can find the release bolt/nut if I was to get this out of the water on the trailer. Where would I find the trim and tilt release so that I am able to manually raise the motor. Thank you for any help.

zakaih7

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trim and Tilt for a Volvo Penta 270 1986

I may not be the right guy to answer this but I thought the 270 out drive didn't have a tilt and trim. I have one and it only has a small moter to raise and lower the out drive. No tlit or trim at all.<br />If that is what u have, then u will see the little motor on the right side when facing the rear of the boat in the motor compartment towards the top. It will be about 6 inches long and 3 to 4 inches in dia. There will be 2 wires going to it. You can use small set of jumper wires and connect your 12 volt power to it to see if it is working. If it tries to go down when u do this, then reverse the positive and negative leads and it will try to come up then.<br />If the lock is broken then u will have to have some help. One person will run the motor and the other will have to manually release the lock on the outdrive.<br />To do this just look at the lower unit front side of the out drive (underwater). On the front side of it u will see a spring loaded catch that can be pulled reward. It has 2 hook looking things on it that will be caught on a stainless steel bar that runs cross wise to the out drive. When it is pulled (only about a quarter inch) the out drive will come up. Of course that is assuming that the motor is working.<br />If the motor is not working, then u can release it the same way but will need help to lift it up and hold it until you can put the outdrive lock in place.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />If someone says to ignore this post I would say listen to them, as im not a pro or anything. Just happen to have some experience with this volvo stuff.<br />If it has tilt and trim I would be really interested to know what it looks like as i would like to have tilt on my boat too. A pic wouold be nice too.<br /><br />Michael<br />zakiah7