Worth repairing a 1986 Volvo penta I/O???

Status
Not open for further replies.

giz

Recruit
Hi......<br /><br />I am looking for some advise.<br /><br />We have a 1986 21ft bayliner with a Volvo penta I/O engine model no. AQ225D.<br />We have owned the boat a couple of years but after the first summer of use the boat wouldn't start. Husband took it apart and snapped a part of the starter motor which had become brittle with age.<br />Subsequently he hasn't had time to fix it and it sat all last winter without being winterized.<br /><br />I eventually got a marine mechanic to come look at it and he could replace the starter and put everything back together for about $300 BUT he couldn't guarantee it will start because the engine may have seized.<br /><br />He said that this engine was the worst design ever and the use of raw water was eating away at all the mtal components. He suggested trying to sell the boat 'as is' to someone who had the knowledge to do the engine repairs themselves and to look for another boat.<br /><br />We only paid $6000 for this boat but we don't have the money to buy another boat.<br />We could spend a couple thousand on a rebuilt engine if they do such a thing for this model.<br /><br />The rest of the boat is rough looking but mostly cosmetic.<br /><br />There is a small amount of wood rot in one place but husband is confidant he can repair that.<br /><br />What would you do???<br /><br />Scrap it or try and save it?<br /><br />Angie

Status
Not open for further replies.