Volvo 3.0 GS/Cobra Idle Adjustment

nrladeere

Seaman
I have a 97 3.0L Volvo Penta 4 cyl with the Holley 2 BBl carb. I need to adjust the idle mixture but it is not covered in the manual I have. Does anyone know where the adjustment srews are? There are 2 small screws on the sides of the carb that look like someone has fooled with in the past. Also how do I check the timing on this engine. Thanks

nrladeere

Seaman
Re: Volvo 3.0 GS/Cobra Idle Adjustment

I think I figured out the idle mixture. One screw for each side. Someone had one all the way in and one all the way out which confused me. I am still needing help on how to set the timing with the electronic advance. The manual says I need a shunt?? Any way to set it without one? I liked the old vacuum hose which would disconnect the advance.

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo 3.0 GS/Cobra Idle Adjustment

Idle mixture start at 1 turn out both sides warm engine up then turn 1 screw at a time 1/2 turns to achieve the smoothest idle start by turning screws out. then inn, do the same on both sides. when it is the smoothest turn both sides in 1/4 turn she should plug right along. The timing you need a shunt just order one from volvo/bomidier dealer OMC p/n 986662. you can make a automotive one work just need to extend the wire you put to B+. vaccum advances never were realy used in marine applications. good luck