Volvo AQ170A vs B30E

woywoyboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After much work on my AQ170A, I still get water in no 1 and have decided to explore easy and cheap repowering option. The opportunity to aquire a B30E has arisen. It is currently in a 164 car and the bloke who has it says its sweet - he just wants it gone for a couple of hundred. My question is, how would it go just being fitted, without changing the cam and crank ? Of course, I would use my marine electricals from the AQ170A. Would it work or would the tourque curves be very wrong ? I am only looking for 12 months use from the unit as I will trade up then.

firewalker

Recruit
Re: Volvo AQ170A vs B30E

You might want to mic your cylinders, if you are geting water in # 1. I had the same problem with the same motor. found out the cylinder was 20 over on the bottom.

woywoyboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tx firewalker, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. Can you brief a wally such as me please ?

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Oh. <br /><br />I'm pretty sure the head is different regarding the water jacket.<br /><br />Was the B30 from a 164E (injected)? If so, you have to transfer carbs etc. as well. <br />Clutch etc. has to be dealt with as well as those parts wont fit into the marine housing.

woywoyboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes it is the B30E by I have decided to take the existing one to the shop and it is booked in for tomorrow. I will be looking at a reconditioned unit soon.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah. You know my attitude since earlier discussion about your engine. It is a hard decission when it comes to rebiuld/replacement and new/used. Check the offers and try not to fall in love with any of them as it will ruin your judgement.<br /><br />I swapped my AQ170 to a 4-cyl. AQ145 and was pretty happy about it. Didn't perform quite as good but was much more economic and did very well for normal cruising etc. The lower weight was a benefit and at he same time I fitted a hose from a protected vent to the air intake to feed it with cooler air (engine compartments are hot) which also improved performance.

woywoyboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not good news UU. I put her in this morning. The mechanic says he thinks the head is knackered and will need to be replaced but will know more when he pulls the head. He also said that the heads only last about 12 months so I should figure this into the equation. Also said there won't be much change from 2 weeks pay. Will let you know when he phones me.

woywoyboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just got the call. The head is cactus. He said the bloke who machined it should have picked it up. I have mulled over your thoughts UU and have decided not to go ahead with repairs but to slowly and thoughtfully cover repowering options.

woywoyboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another question re the B30 option, would the head from a B30 bolt straight on to the Aq170A ? I beleive the cooling is different in some way. Can anybody clarify please ? I am not saying this is my preferred option, I am just curious. My local Volvo bloke (110 km away) says it is completely different.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Can't tell you the fine details, but Volvo changed the water jacket to cope with temp problems on cyl. 1+6. I'm pretty sure they altered the head only and as such it should fit the auto block.<br /><br />Search the net for a renovated head. It will cost a lot to ship it downunder, but it's good to know for comparison to other solutions.