Temperature --Volvo 4.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsnyder

Seaman
My experience as a backyard mechanic will never pose a threat to the boat fixing pros. All last season, the operating temperature on my 1996 Volvo 4.3GL, SX stern drive Larson sei194 never exceeded the "1" on the 100 degree mark. I had suspected an open thermostat. When I had the spring service done, the mechanic replaced the thermostat (and the completely corroded water pump impeller) and said that the thermostat was not the cause of the temp reading problem, that I had a bad gauge. Taking him at his word, and not then knowing how to troubleshoot the gauge by grounding the sender wire, I replaced the gauge with a new one. In the process, I learned about gauge installation--not an easy task. I also checked the fuse to see if it might have opened. It was ok. When I ran the boat again, the gauge needle still only moved to the "1" on the reading. After more discussion, I replaced the sender, this time checking the gauge by grounding the wire. The new temp gauge deflected fully, so I assumed the original sender was faulty. I installed the new sender, and ran the motor on muffs. I got some deflection on the temp needle, about to the second "0" on the 100 reading. Now, after finally getting all the hose clamps tightend to stop the water from spraying all over my engine compartment, I get an operating temp reading between the 1 and the first 0, and sometimes even on the first 0, at operating temperature, whereas when the boat was new, the op temp was about 125. I suspect that now I may really have an open thermostat unless there is there anything else that may be draining the signal. Thanks for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.