5.7 omc volvo penta over heating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1997 volvo penta 5.7 GLI. It runs hot at idle and when it is under a load. I changed the thermostat water pump and the elbows, and I checked the circulator pump. I also checked that the water was comming from the drive which it is.<br />when it runs hot the engine boggs down until I put it in neutral and idle fast. The temp drops and it does not bogg. At this point I have to run at 1500 rpm and the temp gauge drops 180 and the elbows are hot. Can someone please give me some ideas thanks

russthemuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 5.7 omc volvo penta over heating

seawaterpump on the side or in the leg? Closed cooling?...Blocked up heat exchanger.<br />Blocked risers?

russthemuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi LI, If its getting hot real quick im thinking the exhaust risers may be getting clogged up,Is this the elbows you changed? The engine sounds like it is trying to seize as it cant remove the heat fast enough as you rev it up.You say its salt water cooled, is it running salt water through the engine block? or do you mean your running the boat in salt water? You sure there's no heat exchanger bolted on there?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

If timing is advanced too far, it can cause overheating also. Just-a-thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.