Volvo/Penta trim won't go down!

Erik-The-Red

Cadet
2001 Glastron 175 SX, 3.0L Volvo (GM), SX drive

Parked the boat last October and everything was working just fine. Got the boat out this weekend to clean up and get ready for the season, charged battery to full (13.5 v), added fresh gas and the engine fired right up. Tried to trim down and it won't budge. Up works, but now its trimmed up as far as it will go and it won't trim down. When I press the switch I can hear a "click" from the relay, but the pump motor won't run when trying to trim down. Works like normal on trim up. Fluid reservoir is about 1/2 full, but I don't see any marks on the reservoir to indicate where "full" should be. I'm assuming the trim pump is ok since it runs fine on trim up. I also assume the relay is working because I can hear it click when I press the trim down switch on the control. And I can assume the switch is working ok since trim up works and I hear the click at the relay on trim down. Should I not assume these things? What should I do? What should I be looking at to fix this issue?

Thanks for any help or advice!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo/Penta trim won't go down!

Should I not assume these things? What should I do? What should I be looking at to fix this issue?

Ayuh,... I assume there's Corroded wiring connections, causing the problem...

Remove, sand, clean,+ reconnect everything...

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Flip flop the two relays and see if it goes down

ill r

Cadet

I second Bond-o.

Had a similar issue last year, and eliminated it by cleaning all the connections, which seems to cure about 90% of the electrical issues I run into on my older boat- I usually start there now and have saved a lot of time.... Most of the other 10% of problems are wire related...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

(solenoids)

the fluid can only be checked in lowered position.

There are no solenoids in Volvo trim systems, they use relays, and low oil would not prevent the motor from running.

I would pull the relays and check the connections for corrosion. If they are clean, you probably have a bad relay. Yes, they can click and still not work.
It also takes both relays to go either up or down. Below is a wiring diagram to help you figure it out. You can pull the relays out and check the sockets with a test light or meter. If they test OK, they you probably need a relay.

PS Green = down, blue = up

attachment.php

Attachments

• Volvo trim relay setup.jpg
    Volvo trim relay setup.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 127

Erik-The-Red

Cadet

Thanks for all the info, fellas! I will check the connections and test the relays as soon as the rain stops. I'll let you know what I find.

mrz333

Cadet

Had the same problem 2 months ago with starboard drive. Tech swapped the relays and tested the connections. All OK but he found that one of the harness connectors moved out of place during the connect enough to cause the problem. Tried to reseat & secure the pin but it happened a few weeks later. I got a used harness & replaced it with no problems to date.

Erik-The-Red

Cadet

I finally had a chance to look at it today. I pulled both relays and swapped them in the sockets, and now I have down trim but not up....... which tells me the relay is kaput. The relay is made by Hella, the local boat shop wants $30 for a new one. Is this relay any different than an automotive relay? Is it sealed or something different for marine use? Because I can get a replacement @ Kragen or Napa for about $7.

Don S

Just make sure the contacts have the proper amperage ratings. Should be on one of your old relays, and I don't recall what it is right off. But it will take a relay with all 5 terminals on it. Many only have 4.

Erik-The-Red

Cadet

The part number on the relay is 4RD 931 680-01. This is the German Hella part number. I cross reference that number to Hella USA's number which is HL87429, but none of the parts supply places in town seem to be able to cross reference it to anything. Its a 5-pin, 12 volt, hi-temp, potted relay.

Don S

Volvo only uses Bosch relays. Maybe someone has replaced it with the wrong kind and that is why you have a problem now.

Erik-The-Red

Cadet

Nope, I bought this boat brand new off the Glastron showroom in 2001, I'm the only owner, and I've never replaced any relays. The Hella relays that are in it came from the factory.

Erik-The-Red

Cadet

Bought a relay this afternoon from a local parts supplier, its not a Hella but its the same relay-- 5 pin with the same schematic. As I said before, the local boat shop wanted $30 for the factory replacement "because its waterproofed". Welp, I bought a replacement for $7, spent another $2.50 on some flowable silicone sealant, and waterproofed it myself. Works like a champ and spent less than $10. :)

Thanks for all the help fellas!