Volvo 280 installation manual

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am converting a hull from a Mercruiser MC1 drive to a Volvo 280 drive.
I have the donor boat and ALL the pieces needed for the conversion. I just downloaded the template, is there a guide to go with this?

Thanks

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo 280 installation manual

What are you unsure of regarding the template?

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Captmello, just want to confirm the procedure. And confirm that the 'S' measurement is the distance between the keel and lower transom shield bolts.
And if the crankshaft centerline is the same between Volvo and Mercruiser drives so. If they are the same I can put both Volvo and Mercruiser templates on top of each other to aid in the transom hole cutting.

I hope this makes sence :D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

S or X dimension is the crankshaft centerline of the the engine. Here is a picture I put together that shows where the Volvo and Merc centerlines are exactly the same, and what the cutout would look like.
The template will tell you the location by transom angle.

attachment.php

Attachments

• cutout.jpg
    cutout.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 15

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Don, that is very helpful. I should be able to scale you diagram to the mercruiser template for correct hole positions and cut out. That way I can put the templates on thin ply, temp bolt it to the transom using the existing mercuiser holes to trace the new volvo holes and cutout.

pcmpete

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don, would you have a full template for mercruiser on that shows the mounting holes?
I have photoshopped your diagram with the 270-280 template that shows the mounting holes and sizes for the volvo cut out. It would be good if it showed the mercruiser holes too.
Could be used for people converting:

Mercruiser to Volvo
OR
Volvo to Mercruiser

Here is a link to the full size conversion template I have created (it is 5.9mb, too big for forum)
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss112/pcmpete/volvo_mercruiser_template.jpg

captmello

Captain

I see what you mean, the template is a bit vague as to where the s measurement is. I agree that it appears to be the bottom two bolts of the transom shield but I can't tell for sure.:confused: