Need Help Removing My Volvo Penta DP-A Outdrive ??

gsrsol84mm

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have a link to a video on disassembly for the Volvo 280 / 290 Duo Prop Outdrive ? Maybe a forum post or detailed write up that someone did ?
I am getting ready to change the the drive and exhaust bellows, water hose, check the u - joints, check the gimbal bearing and anything else worth doing once I'm in there.
I have the Seloc manual but it's not great.
A detailed step by step manual with big pointy arrows would be great.
The first time is always the hardest.
Appreciate the help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Looking for a Volvo 280 / 290 Outdrive Video or Manual ??

Head up to the Adults Only sticky at the top of this forum. Then find the Volvo information. Has all the info you are looking for.

gsrsol84mm

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Need Help Removing My Volvo Penta DP-A Outdrive ??

Thank You. That is fantastic. If my Drive is marked DP-A on the tag. Is it a 280 or 290 ?

Don S

If my Drive is marked DP-A on the tag. Is it a 280 or 290 ?

Neither, it's a DP-A, next step above the 290. Uses the same manual as the 280 and 290.

gsrsol84mm

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the help.
Besides replacing the bellows, water hose, O-ring on the drain plug and dip stick and checking the u-joint, what else would you check or replace ? Going to use this boat offshore.
In the manual when it refers to the DP outdrive is that for the model DP-A ?

Don S

If it says DP, its for the DP-A thru DP-C

captmello

Captain

Thanks for the help.
Besides replacing the bellows, water hose, O-ring on the drain plug and dip stick and checking the u-joint, what else would you check or replace ? Going to use this boat offshore.
In the manual when it refers to the DP outdrive is that for the model DP-A ?

You'll need new orings between the upper and intermediate housings as well for reassembly.

Sometimes you don't know what you'll need until tearing into it.

If you drain the lube and it shows signs of water you may need additional work and parts. It you find water in your bellows, you may need new ujoints, and so on.

I would drain the drive and pull the upper gear box. You'll find out what you need then before you order parts for your boat.

Take your time and feel free to post your questions.:)

gsrsol84mm

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info. As soon as the weather warms up I will remove the outdrive from the boat and try to see what it needs.
How do you tell if the u-joints are bad ?

captmello

Captain

No need to remove the entire drive.

check out this link

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309095

Ujoints may get stiff if there are rusty. Sometimes it's hard to tell if they are bad just by looking.

Let us know how it goes.:)

gsrsol84mm

Seaman Apprentice

OK we started removing the outdrive today.
First removed the dipstick and then drained the oil. It looks like it had some cloudy in it so I assume water got inside.

OIL FROM OUTDRIVE
DP-AOutdrive006.jpg

Next we removed the props by first loosening the bolt in the center of the cone then spinning the cone off. 2nd we removed the large nut holding in the 2nd prop and out it came. Quite easy.

Next Was the shift linkage cover

SHIFT LINKAGE COVER REMOVED
DP-AOutdrive002.jpg

Next was removing the end pivot from the cable

END PIVOT BEING UNSCREWED
DP-AOutdrive005.jpg

Next removed the two screws holding the steering pin to the upper gear head.
The manual said we had to screw in two 6mm bolts in the small holes. The holes were dirty and filled with junk. After using a dental pick we used a 6mm tap to chase the threads, went to ace hardware, picked up two 6mm bolt and it actually worked. The steering pin was forced out .

STEERING PIN READY TO BE REMOVED
DP-AOutdrive007.jpg

We loosened the clamp holding the shift cable. Then following the seloc manual for engine removal we decided to remove the upper gear head. First we removed the top cover ( Not sure why we did it )

TOP GEAR HEAD COVER REMOVED
DP-AOutdrive008.jpg

DP-AOutdrive009.jpg

gsrsol84mm

Seaman Apprentice

We slid the steering helmet back and undid the Bellow clamps, we then removed the Top Gear Head

TOP GEAR HEAD REMOVED
DP-AOutdrive012.jpg

DP-AOutdrive011.jpg

We then removed the u-joint below completely

U-JOINT BELLOW OFF
DP-AOutdrive015.jpg

TOP GEAR HEAD REMOVED WITH U-JOINT ATTACHED
DP-AOutdrive014.jpg

We then decided we should remove the lower unit as we have to drive up to the boat with a forklift and special cherry picker arms to remove the motor.

This is where we had our first problem. We removed one hook up fork pin lock bolt on the right side and the one on the left side broke in half while we try to remove it. So we decide we would drill it out and trilled until we thought we had reached the pin.

A couple of questions. How do you get the Pins out to drop the lower unit ? If there is water in the lower unit which seals have to be replaced ? Can the top gear head be flushed or rinsed with anything to get any of the residue junk off from handling ? Can the lower unit be flushed out with anything ?
How do I tell if the u-joints are bad ?
How many seals to I have to replace ? Where do I get them from ?
Any and all advise would be appreciated.
It would be great if we really knew what we were doing.
Thanks for the help

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Since you removed the top cover, look to see if there's a shim. If so, handle it carefully since it needs to go back upon reassembly. Like the captn' said, you'll need a new o-ring there as well. I'm a bit of a klutz and tend to loose things so my approach has been to put the cover back on until I get the new o-ring so I don't loose the shim, ding up the bearings, or forget which bolts go where. :redface: Probably a good idea to leave the large o-ring in place until you get you get the new one so orientation doesn't become a question.

BTW, your pictures are fantastic, they'll serve you well upon reassembly!

Edit - we must have been typing at the same time - your'e a couple of steps ahead allready!

I was just trying to jump in and alert you to some mstake I had made and how to avoid them. Heck, since you've got DonS and Captmellow advising, I'll just back out. You're doing great!

captmello

Captain

How do you get the Pins out to drop the lower unit ?

Once the two pin retaining bolts are out, the pins should drive out. Turn the steering yoke to one side so the pin doesn't hit it as it comes out, drive out the pin, turn the yoke the other way, drive out the other pin. You'll want the drive supported at this point since it will be loose.

If there is water in the lower unit which seals have to be replaced ?

the water in the oil, looks like Merc. green outdrive lube, could be coming in anywhere. That doesn't appear to be very much water. If I had to guess I would say its coming in from inside the leaky ujoint bellows. Too late to pressure test the drive. Make sure you replace all the orings/seals with new.

How do I tell if the u-joints are bad ?

Sometimes it's hard to tell, Since you are going through all this work, I'd just replace them. Seeing water in the bellows and all.

How many seals to I have to replace ? Where do I get them from ?

Replace them all. Do not reuse any seals or orings. You can get them here on Iboats or at your local dealer. You can also try this website, but buy from Iboat whenever possible.http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/

It would be great if we really knew what we were doing.

Ha, well said. First time for everything.:)

Reach in and grab the drive shaft that the ujoints fit onto. Is there play in that shaft? side to side, in and out. Since you're removing the motor you'll most likely want to replace those bearings as well.

All I can say is take it slowly, do it right the first time. Ask lots of questions as you go.

Don't be affraid to start new threads for specific parts of the job.

Also, Like Piratepast40 said, keep track of the shims between the upper and intermediate and between the top cover and upper gear housing. Those all need to go back in at reassembly.

gsrsol84mm

Seaman Apprentice

Thank You for the replies and help.
I will keep track of the shims. I have been putting all the parts in plastic bags and grouped together. A Few More questions.
1) Since one of the retaining pins lockdown bolt broke and we are trying to drill it out, should we retap the hole and use a larger bolt afterwards ?
2) Exactly how do you drive the retaining pin out ?
3) Should I rinse, clean or flush the top gear head with anything ? some handling crud got on the big ball bearing. Just wiped it off.
4) Should we flush the lower main unit with anything ? some small crud fell in when the top gear head was removed. Have a rag stuffed in there now and duct tape on the top to seal it from the weather.
5) are there any o-rings or seals to replace on the prop shaft ?
6) Do we have to strip anything else off on the top gear head or lower unit ?

We will try and replace the u-joints since we it is out.

Many Thanks Again

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all of the pictures! Thats the same OD we have so this sheds a lot of light on questions Ive had. If you can, when you order all of the o rings and parts would you mind to post where you get them and the part numbers? Plan on doing this soon to ours.

Also, along with the seal at the prop I assume there is a seal where the u joint goes in too? If your bellows were leaking, sorta appears they were, that may of been where the water got in(someone else mentioned that). May want to look into replacing those seals too. How is the shift cable sealed?

Are you going with OEM bellows?

captmello

Captain

Thank You for the replies and help.
I will keep track of the shims. I have been putting all the parts in plastic bags and grouped together. A Few More questions.
1) Since one of the retaining pins lockdown bolt broke and we are trying to drill it out, should we retap the hole and use a larger bolt afterwards ?
2) Exactly how do you drive the retaining pin out ?
3) Should I rinse, clean or flush the top gear head with anything ? some handling crud got on the big ball bearing. Just wiped it off.
4) Should we flush the lower main unit with anything ? some small crud fell in when the top gear head was removed. Have a rag stuffed in there now and duct tape on the top to seal it from the weather.
5) are there any o-rings or seals to replace on the prop shaft ?
6) Do we have to strip anything else off on the top gear head or lower unit ?

We will try and replace the u-joints since we it is out.

Many Thanks Again

1. Not sure what to do with the pin. If you go to a bigger bolt, you'll also have to modify the pin.

2. to remove the pin, you just have to pound it out with a hammer and some kind of drift/driver. It just slides in and out.

3. Not sure on flushing the drive.

4. Not sure on flushing the drive.

5. not sure, I don't have a DP.

6. What are you trying to accomplish by taking everything apart?

blcmcck

Cadet

On DP-A drives you often have to pull the pins out (not drive them out). You will need a slide hammer and 5/16 bolt (18 thread).

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

As far as dropping things down the oil tube; there's a strainer between the intermediate and lower that will catch the large chunks. The oil flow is up through the lower, past the main shaft, through the gears, and back down the return tube.

Based on the appearnce of rust on the u-joints and water in the bellows, I agree with the possibility of a leak in the gearbox. You might get lucky and find out it was just the bellows. As a minimum, you've got u-joints that need to be replaced and my opinion is that replacing the PDS bearings will be cheaper now than if they seize. Since the drive wasn't pressure tested prior to disassembly, you simply won't know until you find out. You might want to consider having a pro disassemble the gearbox and replace seals as well as check everything in the gearbox. Around here it runs about $450 to have it gone through, new seals, and all the measurements for shims taken care of.

Still not sure why you want to remove the lower shaft. If you want to know what seals and o-rings are needed, study the manual. Since I'm not too bright, I take the pages out to the drive and touch the parts as I'm looking at the prints to help me know that I've got all of them.

captmello

Captain

On DP-A drives you often have to pull the pins out (not drive them out). You will need a slide hammer and 5/16 bolt (18 thread).

Please be more specific. Why? And how would you grab the pin with a slide Hammer??? I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering what is the difference between the DP-A and my 275? the pin is the same part number.

gsrsol84mm, one other easy check since you've got the upper off and the top cover. Check out this link.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=367401

blcmcck

Cadet

Please be more specific. Why? And how would you grab the pin with a slide Hammer??? I'm not doubting you, I'm just wondering what is the difference between the DP-A and my 275? the pin is the same part number.

gsrsol84mm, one other easy check since you've got the upper off and the top cover. Check out this link.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=367401

Different part numbers. 275 pivot pin part number is "853175", DP series part number is "872493". I believe they're the same length and diameter. The DP-A pivot pin has a threaded hole in the center in which you attach the 5/16 bolt with a large washer. Next step is to close the fingers of the slide hammer over the washer and pull the pin. The twin Hydraulic trim cylinders are in the way of driving the pin though, thus it must be pulled.