VOLVO SX Drive problem

user64

Seaman
1999 Volvo SX Drive paired to a 305. When I put it into forward, nothing happens until I give it some throttle , then it kicks into gear. Does not happen in reverse. Just started happening last few times out. I know that an overfill condition can cause that but I havent added anything all season. Im not sure if it only happens when hot but thats a possibility. What should I be looking at as to the cause of this?

captmello

Captain
Re: VOLVO SX Drive problem

I'd start by checking the fluid level. Might be a good time to just change the fluid to check for water etc.

I wouldn't operate the boat this way at all.

Let us know what you find.

Good Luck!!:)

zbnutcase

Commander

Yes change lube first. Be SURE to use synthetic. Could be contol or cable issue also. 'nutcase

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

Put the helm shifter in neutral .......Remove the 3 bolts on the leg shift cover .... remove the shift cover .... remove the cotter pin and washer on the control rod attached to the shift lever on the left hand side ....... the shift lever is the oval shaped piece with a hole at each end .....

OK .....so in helm neutral the shift lever should be in the center detent .... wiggle the lever to make sure it is ...now move the shift lever up and down to make sure it goes easily and pops into the top and bottom detent ..forward and reverse .... it should move easily with the only resistance being moving it out of the 3 detent positions.... now move the helm shifter into the forward gear position ......( i cannot remember if forward is lever up or down detent but it doesn't matter )

the exercise here is to insure that your helm gear position lines up with the right shift lever detent position ..... so check that whether your helm shifter is in forward or reverse the control rod will fit exactly in the corresponding shift lever detent position.

If the shift lever control rod is out of wack with the lever detent position in either helm forward or reverse you have developed a shift cable issue .... these cables are cheap so replace the cable .... if you do not have experience buy the SELOC manual 3606 on how to do ....good to have as it covers engines also ...about $40

Now ....here is the bad part ...... if everything lines up and the shift lever is going into its appropriate detent you most likely have a clutch cone issue in which case you should consult a VP tech.

user64

Seaman

Thanks for all the suggestions..pulling the boat next week and will check all these items..john

cr2k

Captain

Use a synthetic blend not a full syn. Full syn will not hold oil and show a milky condition like a blend. It will be easier to see and water in oil that way.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Use a synthetic blend not a full syn. Full syn will not hold oil and show a milky condition like a blend. It will be easier to see and water in oil that way.
Use full syn like the manufacturer recommends.

Cr2k, why are you propagating this BS all the time?

user64

Seaman

Follow up question guys..Intrepid voyager..when you refer to cable problem are you referring to the cable from the shifter? If so, that was replaced last year. There are no other cables that I know of as its a Volvo and believe that it doesn't have a lower shift cable as do Merc's. Please advise as I am pulling the cover today to see whats what....thanks..john

zbnutcase

Commander

There are no other cables-only one from control to drive. 'nutcase

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya ...like nutcase said ..... only one shift cable ..... when you are at the back of the boat along the right side of the drive you will see the cable ...its held in position by a ss tab ..... make sure the cable is properly seated in the detent ring in the outer cable sleeve ...... you should also check that the cable sleeve is not moving in the helm shifter. Let us know what you find out re the detent positions of the lever versus the shifter cable positionong.

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

that should read ....that the ss tab is properly seated in the cable detent ring
....the lug on the tab faces forward not backward.