volvo Penta model 100

balzer_brett

Cadet
Hey there i just picked up a 1970 Pere Marquette, with a 130hp volvo penta..... My question is the out drive shifts with the cable, but the outdrive spins in forward consistantly. I am new with boats and especially i/o any help would be great.

brett

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: volvo Penta model 100

the prop spins fw in rev also? is it really doing that or does it just appear to be?

balzer_brett

Cadet

I am positive it spins the same way no matter what gear is selected.... So i was thinkin, is it possible it is just from sitting?? the boat has been sitting for years(5 maybe more). If so would it be dumb of me to fill it with good oil and put the muffs on it and let it run in the garage for awhile?

captmello

Captain

Changing the drive fluid could also give you an idea of what condition the drive is in.

It sounds like you've had it running already. If your going to run it, make sure its on muffs and change the impeller in the raw water pump. Watch the temp.

Are you sure its a 100? I've never seen one.:rolleyes:

Post a pic if you can.:) engine too.

There's a few guys running around with aq130s on this forum.

balzer_brett

Cadet

ok guys i could be wrong. the motor is a aq130, but the shop manual says in handwriting that the outdrive is a model 100... so i assumed they did the research but maybe not. Anyways i ran it today with water for quite some time and i think i figured it out, time for a rebuild. It looks to me like the shaft poked through the top cap(see pics).

Attachments

• top cap1.JPG
    top cap1.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 2
  • inside1.JPG
    inside1.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 2
  • outdrive1.JPG
    outdrive1.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 2
  • engine1.JPG
    engine1.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 2

TowRoper

Petty Officer 1st Class

ouch! didnt see that one comin :eek:

Gene70

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You need to rebuild the upper gear. Contact Volvo for parts. They will give you the name of someone that has obsolete parts.