74 Mercruiser 302 to 98 Volvo 5.7GI swap

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 74 Mercruiser 302 to 98 Volvo 5.7GI swap

first time installing a Volvo drive.
Just adjusted alignment. I greased the end lightly and now the tool slides in effortlessly. found the neutral switch had moved out of position while hooking up the throttle,
that's in order now.

I'm ready to install the drive. greased the ujoints and the gimbal bearing. With red bearing grease.
can i use the water resistant grease 828250-1 for the engine coupler, the studs and the props?
strange there is no gasket like on m/c drives. I plan on using the 828250-1 grease around the drive so the round inner gasket doesnt move.
I have perfect seal, could i use that anywhere?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hadn't noticed it now has two pages....................
I have no idea about what greases you are using, but read bondo's signature line. ANY grease is better than NO grease.
Personally I have used Merc spline grease, and Merc ujoint and gimbal bearing grease on all the drives I do with gimbal bearings, ujoints and splined shafts.

You need a little bit of glue to hold the VW shaped water seal around the water port, and some grease on the mounting studs. NO gasket, and no perfect seal needed.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Don! Looks like i'm good to go.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer
Sea trials

Sea trials

Today was the big day! finally got everything done. Launched the boat, first thing I noticed was how smooth and quiet the motor was.
we have a no wake zone so after that the boat just jumped up on step, first run wot was 4600 rpm. next time was 5000 just for a few seconds I don't have a gps but man I was flying!
went back to the dock. no water in the bilge, coolant hoses tight, oil was same level, the temp, voltage, oil pressure everything fine!
one problem was the trim for some reason it was ok but after a while the trim gauge was going back and forth then the needle went to the top i went to the instrument panel checked the wires, then to the engine checked the plugs now it works again?