Volvo Penta SX vs SX-M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta-Dave

Recruit
I have a 1998 Volvo Penta outdrive with a 1.5 Ratio. I need to replace the upper unit. I'm having trouble finding a replacement. I found a Volvo SX-M on E-Bay. I'm not sure what the difference is, if any, between the SX and the SX-M. Does anyone know if this will interchange with my upper? Would I need to provide more information in order to get and answer?

Also, can anyone recommend a good source for replacment parts?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta SX vs SX-M

Yes, the SX-M will fit yours. BUt what happened to yours? If the gears are gone, you can bet metal shavings made it to the lower unit as well.

PartsChaser

Cadet
Resurrecting this old thread in the hopes that Don S. or someone else will chime in.

I have a 98 Crownline 266 with the VP SX drive - upper gearcase suffered some damage with the prior owner, and I am looking at replacing the upper, as gears/bearings/etc are ultimately going to cost more than a decent low-hour replacement.

On the Tag on mine its the 1.43 ratio drive, single prop - but does not list SX or SX-M. Given its a 98, according to the SELOC manual for VP stern drives, I am lead to believe its an SX-M. I can find a few of those with near similar gear ratios, so I think that is my best route.

Anything in particular to look out for on the SX/SX-M uppers? I'll flush the lower with oil a few times before I re-assemble to make sure all the debris from anything above is not an issue.

Thanks in advance gents,

Jimmy

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No you aren't because it's older than dirt and Don will not reply. Start your own thread.

Closed,

Status
Not open for further replies.