Volvo Penta AQ125

hank3rd

Cadet
Hello,

I have a 1985 Bayliner Capri with a Volvo Penta AQ125 engine. The Trim is not working. When I use the switch, I can hear a clicking coming from the area near the trim motor. Is the electrical component above it a solenoid? I think it may be this part.

I have been having trouble locating the parts online as well. Any ideas on what I can do to find parts?

I am going to try to test the motor with a tester and report back.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo Penta AQ125

No doubt the solenoid is the click Speaking generically it could be worn and not making contact.carefully jump across the solenoid terminals to the motor to see if it runs.If solenoid is bad on some you can open them and flip over the contacts. Usually requires prying the solenoid can open.
Perhaps there is a main fuse?

hank3rd

Cadet

The solenoid is open already and I will try your trick as soon as I can.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

First things first. Your AQ125 is not an outboard, so moving this over to the Mercruiser, OMC, Volvo & other I/O & Inboard Engines & Outdrives forum.

Now, on to your problem
The AQ125's do NOT have trim, only a mechanical lift for tilting the drive up for trailering. You also can not open the relays and play with them so forget that.

When I use the switch, I can hear a clicking coming from the area near the trim motor. Is the electrical component above it a solenoid?
Assuming you are talking about the black box on the top of the mechanical lift, there are 2 relays and a switch in that box.
Here is a wireing diagram for the mechanical lift. (click on the thumbnail) and should help you find the problem.

Attachments

• tilt wiring.jpg
    tilt wiring.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 6

hank3rd

Cadet

Here is a wireing diagram for the mechanical lift.

Thank you for the information. I tested the power going to the switch and there is power going there. I then placed my test light on the motor wires and toggled the switch and it was a no go.

I think that the problem is the "black box". Is there a way to find this part? I looked and could not find it. The previous owner must have opened the box and the top is no longer there, so I do not see any part numbers. Edit**. I think that this may be the part(s)???? http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7744630-90-18638.aspx. I guess I would just need the relays and the cover?

I appreciate your help. I am new to boating and hope to learn here.

Also, I need to have the winterization done. I am in NC, how much longer do you think I have to do this. I was hoping to work on the engine a little more. I just bought an engine manual online and should have it in a few days.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That dashed line box in the wiring diagram IS the black box. Trust me, this is not an elecronic black box, As I said earlier, it has relays, switches, and connections inside. You MUST understand the diagram to check it out. There is no step by step instructions for troublshooting it. The relays switch up and down by swiching positive and negative wires. There is not an up relay or a down relay. They are both used for both directions.

I am in NC, how much longer do you think I have to do this. I was hoping to work on the engine a little more.

I live in WA state, not a clue how long you have. But I will check my crystal ball and see if it differes from your local weather reports if you think it would help.

Here is the link where you can download a free owners manual that will show you how to winterize. The OEM service manual doesn't help a bit for that.

http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/glo...ice/publication_search/publication_search.htm

hank3rd

Cadet

I live in WA state, not a clue how long you have. But I will check my crystal ball and see if it differes from your local weather reports if you think it would help.

What I meant was temperature thresholds. I read that one would want to have the process completed before the temperature is below freezing for more than 24 hours. I do not know if this information was valid or not. We are going through a cold spell here now and it is getting close to 32 degrees, which is the reason I asked.

I am going to test the black box using your diagram and see what may be wrong. From the link I provided, it looks like I would need to order separate parts, like to top of the box, switch and relays, if needed. Forgive my question formulation, since I do not know much about boats (yet).