3.0 Volvo Penta GS PNCA Blows Coolant hose for third time in three years

Status
Not open for further replies.

4winnsskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Greetings, again while powering across the lake at 45mph the coolant hose from the thermostat housing to the impellar pump housing on the engine blew and spewed water all over...thankfully since this happened i always carry a spare hose....this is getting annoying now, and is ruining the time on the water since it's spent mostly worrying instead of having fun....Heres the quick history...

the first time i had no clue what happened so i just replaced hose...a few times out later the hose blows again and get stranded and towed in....sucked so i was told there must be a clog somewhere, i rip all the hoses off to find the clog, and i did...there was a clog from the line that goes to to exhaust riser from the "T" in the line that comes directly from what seawater pump (the t is the one part that goes to thermostat housing and one part that goes to the exhaust riser)....this hose was clogged with a piece of old seawater pump pieces....apparently the previously owner blew his water pump and sent pieces through the system...btw, i have a NEW seawater pump installed since last year (the first time this happened since i thought i had blown the pump but it turned out to be good and not missing any pieces off of the impellar...) so anyway about a season of boating passes hassle free, and BOOM now it happens again.....i'm lost?!?! i removed all hoses again and found nothing clogging any of the lines????? this time when i did replace the hose and idled back to the dock 30 minutes the engine ran steady at 170 degrees or so....

ideas???? here is a pic of my setup direct from volvo site with notes......

Attachments

• 12722_big.jpg
    12722_big.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 5

4winnsskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 3.0 Volvo Penta GS PNCA Blows Coolant hose for third time in three years

TTT , Nobody?!?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Clogged riser or manifold

4winnsskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

What part of the riser should i look for??? i had it off once and found nothing wrong....water flowed nicely...part 47 in pic below flowed water around the edges just fine....

and where in manifold?

how would i look for a clog in the manifold???

just lookin for help guys, engine runs great, this issue is just annoying....

12722_big.gif

happycamper

Seaman Apprentice

Greetings, again while powering across the lake at 45mph the coolant hose from the thermostat housing to the impellar pump housing on the engine blew and spewed water all over...

First, you are not alone, although the dealers I've talked to say they've never heard of this. Now that I carry TWO spare hoses, it hasn't blown in several years.
For me, it's the large hose between the circulating pump and the thermostat housing (item #17 in your drawing). I have taken everyting apart multiple times, and can't find an obstruction. This hose is rock hard at WOT.

FWIW, we spent a week on Lake Powell early this summer and ran about 125 miles at high speed over 7 days, and didn't blow that hose (probably because I had two spares on the boat).

4winnsskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

First, you are not alone, although the dealers I've talked to say they've never heard of this. Now that I carry TWO spare hoses, it hasn't blown in several years.
For me, it's the large hose between the circulating pump and the thermostat housing (item #17 in your drawing). I have taken everyting apart multiple times, and can't find an obstruction. This hose is rock hard at WOT.

FWIW, we spent a week on Lake Powell early this summer and ran about 125 miles at high speed over 7 days, and didn't blow that hose (probably because I had two spares on the boat).

Thanks for your response, its nice to know im not the only one with this issue...and i just ordered TWO hoses to carry as spares, i removed all hoses and found nothing, and when i get home from work this week am gonna remove the riser again and see if i can find anything....

anyone else have an idea where to look? so far the riser is a easy check...the manifold...not so much, hopefully this doesn't happen again this year but we'll see.

4winnsskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

TTT any other opinions??? I ordered all new gaskets and two backup hoses so i can remove the riser and put it back together but volvopenta store says i wont get it till august 8th so wondering what else i can check out in the meantime???

Bill I AM

Recruit
Did you find anything else that is helpful? I am experiencing the same problem. Thanks in advance.

kenny nunez

Captain
This suggestion is not the fix but may help. Get a water pressure gauge kit so that you will be able to monitor the pressure.
The only other cause of high pressure could be a head gasket. Most times a head gasket leak causes a over heat situation where the leakage overcomes the water pump pressure and makes an air bubble. In your case that is the only thing that I can think of.
Replacing the head gasket is real easy on the 3.0 if you want to give it a try and have the head re surfaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.