Volvo Penta SX lower unit oil change

Cruzomatic

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm wanting to change the oil in my SX outdrive. I don't have the manual 'yet', but just hoping some one can lead me in the general direction in which I need to go.

Volvo Penta 5.0GL with SX outdrive.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo Penta SX lower unit oil change

Need a pump (oil MUST go in from bottom) and about 3 qts of factory synthetic gear oil. Remove bottom plug , dipstick and fill hole under the shift cover . (held on by 3 5/16 bolts). Clean the magnetics on the plugs and refill. I always run abit and then re check, I have never needed to add any extra, but worth piece of mind to me to recheck. I always check fluid level after brief run after changing any of them. Not being a jerk, just as FYI, get a factory manual, the factory manuals are only ones worth a darn and not that expensive, do not waste your time with aftermarket manuals, they are junk.

Cruzomatic

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Volvo Penta SX lower unit oil change

Thanks for the responses guys.

The boat is a 2005 Caravelle with the 5.0GL-E with the volvo penta SX-M Sterndrive. That's a bunch for the link, it's extremely helpful.

Can you please post a similar link to the engine.

One last thing. I'm confused on how often one should change the engine oil and lower unit oil. According to the manual it says 100hrs or once a season. What if I only use the boat 30-45 hours a season??

thanks,,