First 100 hrs. on Volvo Penta SX

T6Driver

Recruit
Just hit the 100 hr mark on my Chaparral Sunesta 232 w/ Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi and the end of the first season I've owned the boat. Very new to boat ownership and am wondering if I should have the drive pulled for service, alignment inspection, etc. Bellows appear to be in good shape and I did all the suggested 50 hr mx as well as ensured that all seasonal mx was done just before I purchased it. I bought it with 27 hrs on the boat and know the boats history (what little there is). Just wondering if I'm going overboard by having the drive pulled or if it's a good idea. Boat is stored for winter indoors and temps don't get below freezing. I'm trying to get a sense for what is smart maintenance in the manual vs. overkill. Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: First 100 hrs. on Volvo Penta SX

The drive should be pulled once a year or every 100 hours, whichever comes first, and no it's not going overboard to do it.
Things like water in the bellows, or just as bad Gear Lube in the bellows, can't be found without pulling the drive. And if there is any of either, it MUST be fixed. The gear lube means that much is missing from the upper gear box.
The bellows should be good for at least 3 years

T6Driver

Recruit
Re: First 100 hrs. on Volvo Penta SX

Thanks for the input. Wish I had the time and know how to tackle this myself but oh well. Any idea what I can expect to pay. I'll be having the work done in San Antonio, TX.