Volvo SX drive removal

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2002 Glastron 205GX with the Volvo Penta 5.0GL and SX drive. I would like to remove the outdrive to inspect everything and put it back on. What are the steps in doing this and will I need any consummables like O-rings or gaskets to put it back on? Thanks in Advance.:}:}:}

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo SX drive removal

1)Remove tilt rams from rear of drive.

2)Disconnect shift cable.

3)Remove 6 nuts holding on drive.

4)Pull

I replace the water passage o-ring...not really the shape of an "O".

There are two o-rings on the drive shaft that should be replaced.

I always check alignment with an alignment bar before putting the drive back on.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The shift cable is behind the rear cover which is held on with 3 countersunk capscrews. You need to remove the cotter pin and then remove the brass fitting from the cable end.

When you get it back together, replace the brass fitting where it was before. You can count turns as you take it off, you can count the exposed threads before you take it off, or you can measure. ( Personally I ignore where it was and adjust it accordingly with the throttle/shift lever and drive shift both in Neutral. )

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I do what Willy describes too. That way you can correct for any cable stretch.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class

bruceb58 said:
I do what Willy describes too. That way you can correct for any cable stretch.

Thankyou all! Is it difficult to change the Bellows Boots while the drive is off? I have heard that a SX drive is easier to do than a Mercruiser.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You pretty much have to have the drive off to change the bellows as well as disconnecting the tilt pins on the housing that the bellows attatches to.

It sounds like you don't have a manual. I strongly suggest you purchase the factory Volvo manual.

bijou22

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bellows are quite easy to do, just make sure you put the clips back on in the correct orientation as they will foul other parts, and dont forget to seal the universal joint bellows with something like Volvo white sealing compound.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You actually want to use bellows adhesive.

Sierra part# 18-9031 is what I use.

bijou22

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Clymer manual I have specs Volvo white sealing compound, hope its correct, I have just fitted mine!!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The factory Volvo manual specifies "Gasket Sealing Compound". I don't use the Volvo sealant so have no idea what it looks like.

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would also check the gimbal bearing while I had the drive off, especially if there is some question of the boot being anything but perfect