Grease Tube to Gimbal Bearing Came Out

cyauch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Getting things ready to mount back to boat transom, the grease tube to the gimbal bearing fell out. I was able to push it back in but that got me thinking of how water actually got in the bellows in the first place (separate problem from water leaking behind transom shield).

I've read the link in the Adults Only section about where a member tapped the hole out and installed a 45* elbow fitting. Nervous about tapping and potentially (my luck) screwing it up and trashing a shield. Still, while i have everything off the boat now is the time to do it so i don't have to do it later. Seems to be a weak link for a pretty important area. The replacement bearing i have is not sealed (new to this so wasn't aware there's two kinds).

While the pics are good, i wish it showed more of stbd side. What i'm trying to determine is how close to the exterior of the bearing cavity it is. that would give me a better idea of when i should stop tapping it out. Basically, a peace of mind kind of thing.

I plan on using a tapered tap so not as much torque needed to start. Unfortunately it doesn't appears McMaster-Carr offers single 1/8-27 tap anymore; you have to buy a kit.

Has anyone else done this 'mod' for the grease fitting and, if so, any additional tips or suggestions before i tackle this Right now, i have the tube put back in and coated the last 1/4 of it with permatex #3 then tapped it into the bearing cavity hole with a mallet by hitting the existing fitting. But, my OCD is killing me so I just want to eliminate this as a future problem altogether.

Thanks!

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
The few times I had had this happen.
I cleaned it up real good and used green loctite to install the new tube.
This was before the permalube bearings.
Now we just tap and plug the hole.
There is quite a good bit of meat to tap.

cyauch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yea, i have to make a command decision here. Anything else and I wouldn't think twice. cold sweats thinking about screwing it up if i don't get the tap square. I guess worst case is i drill it out a little large and go to the next size then plug (would require i get a sealed GB).

Can't find any LC green locally. I may hold off on doing anything for now. Its pushed in with permatex 3. Only another month or so of boating weather left and i do want to get it out on trials with regard to the transom leak. Hard choice, but i think i may wait till later. at least i won't have to pull the engine to do this so......

I'm sure I'll waffle on this several times a day for the next few days......

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I can see the logic for tapping a grease fitting and eliminating the tube but I have the same tube on my OMC Cobra (whose transom design Volvo just copied really) and I've never had a leak into the bellows from it and the boat is 32 years old, those parts are all original and the boat sits in salt water 6 months out of the year each season (owned it 18 years) so it certainly can work. I think you might need an adhesive sealant the Permatex might work fine but something like 3M 4200 is also very good and is designed to work as a sealant below the water line.
I might e-mail Permatex tech support and see what they recommend, for an adhesive sealant that stands up to water and grease.

cyauch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So true to form, i've waffled back and forth on this. For now, I'm gonna pull that tube back out, clean the permatex off it, and use 4200 and roll with that. If i can get things back together in time and get a few days of use on the water, that would be good for me. then i can put in layup for the winter, then pull the OD and take a look inside the bellows for a leak. Thanks guys for the feedback.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
I wouldn’t use 4200. This is not what it was designed for.
Recommend red loctite and their kleen and primer

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
OK looked in my OMC shop manual for what they recommended, its an OMC branded adhesive but some checking reveals that its probably the red Loctite 262....which is not hard to find at least....