Poor Running - Low WOT

Freeman1982

Seaman
Hi guys please help. I have 2012 regal 2100 with Volvo penta engine 270 HP the maximum RPM reached 4600 with open wide throttle with and without lower unit gear . I checked Water Temperature normal , oil pump normal and I checked the fuel pump pressure normal 50 PSI. What is the problem please

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard

im confused, does your engine reach WOT under load, yes or no? because a motor would reach WOT without a load (neutral) with only 1/3 of its cylinders firing.

since volvo has about 7 engines for 2012 and multiple EFI fuel sytems. the only thing we know is you have 270hp and fuel pressure of 50 psi. so we should guess which engine you are having issues with?

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats . . .

Why do you run your engine at high RPM in neutral? If you want to go anywhere, you should put it in gear. :D

So, you are saying the engine will reach 4600 in gear as well :noidea: Sounds OK to me. Since we don't know what engine you have (guessing it might be the 5.7 :noidea: ) do you know the what the WOT RPM is supposed to be?

Keep in mind that electronically controlled engines limit the RPM, so folks don't over rev their engines in neutral :)

Freeman1982

Seaman
Hey Guys Sorry for the confusing. the problem is i don't know how many RPM my Engine is ? the engine reach 4600 RPM under load, and wen i checked the RPM on natural it reach 4600 RPM too. but i am sure my engine lost RPM because the bout was going 47 MPH with WOT, but now the maximum is 42 MPR with WOT. So i really don't know what happened the water temperature normal and oil pressure normal too.the fuel pressure 50 PSI.

How can i tell how many RPM my Engine is ? I attached my engine information below. all what i know about the engine is
5L, V8, 270 HP. is there anyway to get the service manual online or to find how many RPM my Engine is? please help

Attachments

• IMG_3170.jpg
    IMG_3170.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 3

Scott Danforth

Staff member

Freeman1982

Seaman
Hi Sccot thank you so much for your help. the compensation test For all cylinders between 145-155 PSI it’s on the range . I checked some documents online showing my engine should be 5000 RPM Check it below. Do you think the injectors could make this issue ?

as I mentioned before the fuel pressure 50 PSI when engine running . But I didn’t check the fuel pressure on WOT, Do I need to do that ?

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com...V8 Petrol Stern Drive – Duo prop, 5.0 DPS.pdf

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you can pull the injectors out and have them cleaned and tested

you can plug in Rinda or other software and see the PWM commands for the injectors and do other diagnostic tests.

Freeman1982

Seaman
Thanks a lot I will clean the injectors first. Can you provide more information about Rinda and pWM . Thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
Those spec's are the MAXIMUM engine speed that the engine should be run at (without adverse affects).

It does not mean that the engine in your boat will achieve the maximum. Usually there is a range in which the engine is supposed to run, based on size of the boat, gear ratio, propeller pitch, etc.

I think the spec'd range for the engine is 4600-5000 RPM . . . Hey guess what, you are achieving that range. :thumb:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. So normally I’d just think your 5.0 gxi is hitting the limiter and that’s that. As well as your tachometer being a little off, as they always are. But if you said it used to be quicker before and had lost power...it’s quite obvious that your GXI is likely now in one of the guardian modes they have. Most likely the 90% one. Many things can cause this. Get it plugged in and see.
those engines have a range of 4600-5000 rpm and will limit at 5150 rpm exactly.
ps. Try not to rev it to those rpm in neutral. Not very good for it.

Freeman1982

Seaman
Hi guys I have 2012 regal 2100 Sometimes when i spending more than 2 hours on the lake my boat doesn’t goes more than 15 mph and I loss RPM too my RPM 3500 instead 5000 ? I watched water temperature normal it was Around 150 maximum so what is reason ? It’s look like This problem Appear when the engine got heat up . I have concern about the oil pump. ( how many PSI should be ? ) I know that issue could caused by the injectors and wire plugs and spark plugs. I cleaned the injectors and replaced the spark plugs and the wire plugs. I check the fuel pump pressure 50 PSI
. My only concern now is three potential problems
1- the oil pump how many PSI the oil pump should be ?
2- the ignition control
3- the engine it self and I hope not.
Please let me know if there is any other thing could cause this issue

engine information below
50GXIC 270-R
A196003

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hi guys please help. I have 2012 regal 2100 with Volvo penta engine 270 HP the maximum RPM reached 4600 with open wide throttle with and without lower unit gear . I checked Water Temperature normal , oil pump normal and I checked the fuel pump pressure normal 50 PSI. What is the problem please
I have deleted 7 duplicates of this thread. Use this thread for more questions about your RPM issue.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Hi guys I have 2012 regal 2100 Sometimes when i spending more than 2 hours on the lake my boat doesn’t goes more than 15 mph and I loss RPM too my RPM 3500 instead 5000 ? I watched water temperature normal it was Around 150 maximum so what is reason ? It’s look like This problem Appear when the engine got heat up . I have concern about the oil pump. ( how many PSI should be ? ) I know that issue could caused by the injectors and wire plugs and spark plugs. I cleaned the injectors and replaced the spark plugs and the wire plugs. I check the fuel pump pressure 50 PSI
. My only concern now is three potential problems
1- the oil pump how many PSI the oil pump should be ?
2- the ignition control
3- the engine it self and I hope not.
Please let me know if there is any other thing could cause this issue

engine information below
50GXIC 270-R
A196003
you dont have an oil pump issue or your motor would have seized.
you dont have an ignition issue or it wont be running
its not the motor

hint...... look at your fuel and fuel system. did you ever plug in Rinda? what is your injector pulse width?

50 psi means you have something plugged in your fuel system since you have a 3-bar system, you should be at 43psi

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Go to,
and use your engine serial number to download a copy of the operators manual for your engine.
Read page 15. do you have an engine status panel installed in your boat? Do the lights light up with the key on? Do you hear the 3 beeps from the warning horn?

You may now be in power reduction mode. This engine will limit the RPMs to 3500 or less when that happens.

Oil pressure needs to be above 5 psi to stay out of power reduction mode.

Fuel pressure should be 15 psi at the low pressure test port on the fuel pumps and 50-60 psi at the test port on the fuel rail. Yes you should test both these pressures at key on, running at idle and at wide open throttle UNDER LOAD. do not run this engine over 1500 rpm without a load.

50 psi might be a little low. Is this a quality test gauge your using?

This is a catalyst engine. They don't last very long if you run them when they have issues. Highly suggest you find and fix whatever is wrong with this engine.

Freeman1982

Seaman
you dont have an oil pump issue or your motor would have seized.
you dont have an ignition issue or it wont be running
its not the motor

hint...... look at your fuel and fuel system. did you ever plug in Rinda? what is your injector pulse width?

50 psi means you have something plugged in your fuel system since you have a 3-bar system, you should be at 43psi

————

Thank you for your help I attached the injectors and I replaced the fuel filter and it’s still same . I don’t know what you meant with your question (did you ever plug in Rinda)

Attachments

• 35BA1A3C-CE00-4F68-83F2-808AF3C6F594.png
    35BA1A3C-CE00-4F68-83F2-808AF3C6F594.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 0CFCB883-77DE-426B-8E15-A049A07AA4B7.png
    0CFCB883-77DE-426B-8E15-A049A07AA4B7.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Freeman1982

Seaman
Go to,
and use your engine serial number to download a copy of the operators manual for your engine.
Read page 15. do you have an engine status panel installed in your boat? Do the lights light up with the key on? Do you hear the 3 beeps from the warning horn?

You may now be in power reduction mode. This engine will limit the RPMs to 3500 or less when that happens.

Oil pressure needs to be above 5 psi to stay out of power reduction mode.

Fuel pressure should be 15 psi at the low pressure test port on the fuel pumps and 50-60 psi at the test port on the fuel rail. Yes you should test both these pressures at key on, running at idle and at wide open throttle UNDER LOAD. do not run this engine over 1500 rpm without a load.

50 psi might be a little low. Is this a quality test gauge your using?

This is a catalyst engine. They don't last very long if you run them when they have issues. Highly suggest you find and fix whatever is wrong with this engine.

thank you for help if the engine in power reduction mode what I need to do to fix that issue ?