2003 Volvo/Penta starting issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

01Danes01

Cadet
I have a 2003 Stardeck Bowrider Volvo Penta 5.0GL . When I turn the key switch to the "Start" position, the engine will turn over but when the key is returned to the "Run" position, the engine will shut down. If I hold the key in the "Start" position, the engine will start & run. Once the key is returned to the "Run" position, the ignition breaker trips and the purple wire on the kill switch will get very hot. I removed the kill switch and tested both sides to ground. The wiring from the kill switch to the ignition key and dash panel seems to be fine but, the wiring to the engine seems to be shorted to ground. I unplugged the main harness connection at the engine and tested from Pin 1 (Ground) to Pin 5 (Purple Ignition). This is shorted on the engine side. I unplugged the Purple/Ignition wire from alternator, starter & ignition coil. With everything unplugged, nothing is shorted to ground.......BUT, the Purple/White wire on the Alternator is grounded. This wire goes to the electric choke. If I unplug the electric choke, the purple/white wire is not grounded. I tested the + Pos to -Neg leads on the electric choke. They leads on the choke are shorted together. Should there be resistance on the choke or should the leads be shorted together? Doesn't seem right to me or am I going in the wrong direction.
fetch

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
start by looking at your key switch

01Danes01

Cadet
Scott, Why do you think it's the Ignition switch? I removed the kill switch from the wiring ckt/path. One side of the wire went to the Ignition/Dash Panels. This wire Ohm'd out fine. Did not see a short to ground. The other wire from the kill switch, went back to the engine. This wire is the one that was shorted to ground.

alldodge

Staff member
Should there be resistance on the choke or should the leads be shorted together?

The choke is a big resistor, and if your seeing close to zero ohms then its shorted

If the choke is disconnected, does the motor continue to run?
Also is the ignition fuse blowing?

01Danes01

Cadet
Alldodge, Yes, If I use a multimeter and test the -Neg & + Pos tabs on the choke, it is a dead short. Also, when I turn the ignition switch to "Start" and then back to "Run"...the ignition breaker will trip.
I have not tried to start the engine with the choke unplugged. It has taken me about 5 days to get to this point and all the ignition wiring is unplugged. I was hoping to get confirmation that I was on the right path before putting everything back together again. I will start putting all the wiring back together and test the engine with the choke unplugged. Thank you.

stang32

Chief Petty Officer
plug the bare necessities in to start with, coil, ignition switch, kill switch, see if it runs.,
if so, then plug in the alternatorcheck runnning conditkon again, then lastly the choke.
the 2 most common shorts are alternator and choke,

Bass Boat Guy

Recruit
I have a 2003 Stardeck Bowrider Volvo Penta 5.0GL . When I turn the key switch to the "Start" position, the engine will turn over but when the key is returned to the "Run" position, the engine will shut down. If I hold the key in the "Start" position, the engine will start & run. Once the key is returned to the "Run" position, the ignition breaker trips and the purple wire on the kill switch will get very hot. I removed the kill switch and tested both sides to ground. The wiring from the kill switch to the ignition key and dash panel seems to be fine but, the wiring to the engine seems to be shorted to ground. I unplugged the main harness connection at the engine and tested from Pin 1 (Ground) to Pin 5 (Purple Ignition). This is shorted on the engine side. I unplugged the Purple/Ignition wire from alternator, starter & ignition coil. With everything unplugged, nothing is shorted to ground.......BUT, the Purple/White wire on the Alternator is grounded. This wire goes to the electric choke. If I unplug the electric choke, the purple/white wire is not grounded. I tested the + Pos to -Neg leads on the electric choke. They leads on the choke are shorted together. Should there be resistance on the choke or should the leads be shorted together? Doesn't seem right to me or am I going in the wrong direction.
fetch
can i get this schematic in HD quality very hard to zoom in and trace

Status
Not open for further replies.