I hate electrical issues, HELP please!

RichPop

Recruit
Hey guys,

New to the sight, I'm at my wits end and looking for some advise. Trim down work fine. The trim up only works on occasion, usually when driving the boat at higher speeds but even then sporadically. Has worked when parked but then stopped once it was out moving along. It's hit or miss, but mostly miss. I have a 2000 Chaparral 233 with a Volvo Penta 5.0 Gi. This is what i have checked and done so far.

1) Jumped power directly to pump for up- up trim works 2) Jumped power to up solenoid- up trim works (even swapped solenoids to make sure- trim up solenoid was good) 3) Bypassed the sending unit on the outdrive - up trim still did not work, 4) Checked small blue wire going to up solenoid and NO power going to solenoid when pressing up switch 4) followed wiring back to the two relays. seems like no power getting to up relay - up not clicking. swapped it with the down relay which is the exact same part number-would not click, up trim still not working. 5) followed the harness to a plug that appears to go to the switch on the throttle control handle. Its blue/green/red wires. They plug together in three bladed prongs. I don't know which wire goes to which prong because the wires go in in a parallel line but the prongs are two spaced apart on top and one below spaced in middle (I'm guessing this might be the red?) I hooked it to a meter coming from the switch with the ignition on. Top Left 12.4 v -jumps up to 17 when pressing trim up, 17.2 when pressing down; Top Right 11.2v -no jump when pressing up, 15.2 when pressing down, Middle bottom 7v, no change pressing up or down.

Welcome to any ideas

RichPop

Recruit
Electrical Gremlins in my Trim, HELP!!

Hey guys,

New to the sight, I'm at my wits end and looking for some advise. Trim down work fine. The trim up only works on occasion, usually when driving the boat at higher speeds but sporadically at that. It has worked after sitting but then stopped once it was out moving along. It's hit or miss, but mostly miss. I have a 2000 Chaparral 233 with a Volvo Penta 5.0 Gi. This is what i have checked and done so far.

1) Jumped power directly to pump for up(blue)- up trim works 2) Jumped power to up solenoid- up trim works (even swapped solenoids- solenoid was good) 3) Bypassed the sending unit on the outdrive - up trim still did not work, 4) Checked small blue wire going to up solenoid and NO power going to solenoid even when pressing up switch 4) followed wiring back to the two relays. seems like no power getting to relay with blue wire - not clicking. swapped it with the down relay which is the exact same part number-would not click, up trim still not working. 5) followed the harness to a plug that appears to go to the switch on the throttle control handle. Its blue/green/red wires. They plug together in three bladed prongs. I don't know which wire goes to which prong because the wires go in in a parallel line but the prongs are two spaced apart on top and one below spaced in middle (I'm guessing this might be the red?) I hooked it to a meter coming from the switch with the ignition on. Top Left 12.4 v -jumps up to 17 when pressing trim up, 17.2 when pressing down; Top Right 11.2v -no jump when pressing up, 15.2 when pressing down, Middle bottom 7v, no change pressing up or down.

Welcome to any ideas

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know how you get 17V from a 12V battery, my guess without more testing is there is a bad ground

Unless the trim limit switch is closed the up will not work. The drawing shows that the trailer up function bypasses the trim UP limit switch

This is Merc but wiring should be the same

Trim wiring Merc 2012.jpg

RichPop

Recruit
Don't know how you get 17V from a 12V battery, my guess without more testing is there is a bad ground

Unless the trim limit switch is closed the up will not work. The drawing shows that the trailer up function bypasses the trim UP limit switch

This is Merc but wiring should be the same

The pentas are a little different. I have two solenoids that feed into two relays. I don't have a trailer override. I also only have one sending unit on the outdrive (starboard side) that i believe just sends a position signal to the gauge. I bypassed it to try anyway just in case (which didn't help).

Im thinking it has to be a short or the switch in the throttle controller is bad. I can't figure out how to take the switch out to test it. It is all one piece.

RichPop

Recruit
Like this

Thanks for the diagrams. Got a Clymers on the way hopefully soon. Looks closer to the first one except missing the two relays in between the solenoids and the switch on the throttle handle. I have no trailer switch. Wonder why the first diagram has no trim gauge?

alldodge

Staff member
Wonder why the first diagram has no trim gauge?

Trim gauge is not part or the trim system, its part of the motor harness on a Merc

RobRoller

Cadet
Just to clarify you were checking voltage or amperage? I didn't think voltage could go above whatever your battery is putting out.

RobRoller

Cadet
My guess would also be the "Remote Control" aka throttle/forward/reverse assembly.

RobRoller

Cadet
Not sure if this is closer to what your wiring is but this is from my 1996 volvo penta manual for SX trim/tilt gm powered diagram.

Attachments

• photo340408.jpg
    photo340408.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1