Oil pressure dropping

Hi Folks,

Out on the boat on Monday and noticed that the oil pressure on my starboard engine was falling (per the gauge). It went from a solid 60psi @ 3k rpms to a hair over 40psi @ 3k rpms over a 10 minute period of steady cruising.

Temperature and voltage were reading fine, and it was still running strong.

Port engine stays strong at 60psi @ 3k rpms.

Looking to replace the sensor but I find three of them (Volvo PNs: 3857532 & 872064 & 3852215) for my 5.0 GXI-E and don't know which I need. #18 below in bottom left image and #14 image above.

19964_4.png
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Hoping its not worn bearings or oil pump...​

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
oil pressure sending unit is part # 18
if you use the rest of your engine model # you might be able to narrow it down more....

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Do you have dual station controls? (I didn’t think so) that seems to be one of the differences . Try searching on the VP parts site using your complete model #... there may be one or 2 more letters after the 50GXEi.....

Do you have dual station controls? (I didn’t think so) that seems to be one of the differences . Try searching on the VP parts site using your complete model #... there may be one or 2 more letters after the 50GXEi.....

Thank you, that was a big help! I know what I need.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
glad to help! with all the variations the full model # is usually the only way to be sure of getting the right stuff...

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Oil pressure dropping as an engine warms up and RPM`s increase is not unusual. Why the disparity between the two gages< I don't know. It could be possible that your sender on the other engine could be the bad one. Or a difference in oil viscosity of the engines could cause different readings.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If one of your engines is 40 psi and the other 60 psi at those rpm and warmed up...I’d be more concerned about the one at 60 psi. Would suggest it’s running very cold or the gauge isn’t right. 40 would be more normal at those rpm.