Volvo Penta 3.0 - Power Steering pump reservoir leaking

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

The power steering reservoir on my volvo penta 3.0 has formed a small hole from rust and has started to leak. I've had this repaired previously in the form or a spot weld. As the dreaded rust has gone through this again I think its time for a replacement.

Now volvo sell these for extortionate prices, is there anywhere I can purchase some kind of chevvy power steering reservoir whereby I can transfer the internal p/s pump across.

I'm in the UK so might be harder to get parts, but what is the VP 3.0 GS block based on?

Thanks,
Chris

saf

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had exact same problem. FYI, the price of the new pump is not the end of it. You will need a a tool to remove your old pulley and install it on the new pump. Also, check if you can disconnect your hydraulic line from the pump. In my case it was corroded solid, and with the nut made out of soft brass (stripped immediately) I just could not disconnect it.
Look on e-bay. I was able to find a pump with the holding bracket, pulley, and hydraulic hoses for just $100. Having those hoses really saved the day since I had to disconnect my old hose at the power steering mechanism and replace it with the one I got from ebay.

kenny nunez

Captain
If you take the pump off turn it upside down to drain it. Go to a hardware, Home Depot etc. and buy the JB weld 2 part epoxy and clean all the paint around the rusted area. Coat the area and let it harden. This will take care of the leak.

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Saf - thank you I had this off about 4 years ago so hopefully the lines will come off easy, I tend to spray silicone all over the engine most of the time trying to avoid the dreaded rust.

Kenny - thanks, I've already had a leak repair with a welder, I guess epoxy can do the same then, although I'm torn as I'd rather fix this for good - or at least 10 years, piece of mind.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the saginaw power steering pump reservoir is available for about $25 in the US.

however being in the UK, your choices are find one from a GM dealer or buy from a parts house here and ship.

I would pull off the reservoir, soak it in oxalic acid (wood bleach) which will dissolve all the rust. or blast it in a bead blast cabinet then braze the hole shut, and braze over any rusty area. paint with a good epoxy paint, then install.

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Scott thanks a lot this is the information I'm after! Never knew they were named saginaw, looks good but as you say postage and import tax is a lot.

Shame I'm not booked to go over to the states for work anytime soon, anyone fancy posting for me as a 'gift' payment covered obviously.

Wonder if there is a part number from an old Ford ..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
GM trucks were sold in the UK along with Isuzu, Jeep, Ford, and many others. I believe that even Jag's used the saginaw PS pump.

OMC, Mercruiser, VolvoPenta, Ilmor, Indmar, PCM, Crusader and even some of the marine diesel companies also used them in marine applications

GM's Saginaw division made transmissions, steering boxes and steering pumps for the automotive industry for nearly 100 years.

here is an article that lists many of the brands that use the pump.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/saginaw-power-steering-pumps

BTW, customs on the part would only be about $25. so for about $50, you are in business.

Vparzial

Cadet
I had this happen to my 2003 penta 3.0 GSP. You def can find after market ones for cheaper. You will need a pulley puller though. Super cheap.

A great site to find part numbers is Marine Parts Europe. Then find you model number and find cross references to your power steering pump. Just make sure you do not damage your high pressure hoses. The return can be cheaply and easily replaced.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014WH9SY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OEM TOOLS 27031 Power Steering Pulley Puller/Installer