Volvo Penta 380 V8.

kcchiefs

Recruit
I'm having a similar issue with my Volvo Penta 380 V8. It just started whining a bit yesterday. I'm not handy with boat engines, so I'm looking for advice on if I need to immediately take this to the marina for diagnosis and repair.

The symptoms are:

- It doesn't start whining immediately when I start it. It takes about 1-2 minutes and then gets progressively louder over the next 5-10 minutes
- When I turn the engine off, the whining continues for about 2-3 seconds after the belt stops

Attached is a video of it whining.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

alldodge

Staff member
- When I turn the engine off, the whining continues for about 2-3 seconds after the belt stops

Post a vid of this happening?

Sounds like the fuel pump in that video, but it's weird that it would continue after the engine is off... unless it's trying to keep the fuel system pressurized? IDK...

Maybe throw a fuel pressure gauge on it and watch what it's doing?

Mike Simjack

Cadet
That is the high pressure fuel pump. Had the same thing happen to me. Things to check plug fuel filter, ck the wiring connection at the fuel pump (that was the problem I had bad connector) If not that then a high pressure fuel pump. Have to buy the complete fuel pump unfortunalty.