Should I run from a 5.8 EFI Volvo/OMC/Ford?

jesse_boston

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey all, I'm looking at upgrading and the boat I'm looking at has a 1996 Volvo Penta 5.8 FSI, which was only made for 2 years, it is basically an OMC engine with a Penta DP outdrive.
Some places I've read say these are pretty reliable packages, other say run run run away, that parts are expensive or no longer available (and that nobody will work on them)
Anyone have recent-ish experience with this engine? Will I regret it because I won't be able to find any parts?
Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
that parts are expensive or no longer available (and that nobody will work on them)

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,..... Do ya really need any reasons more than this fact, ^^^,.......

jesse_boston

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the welcome!
And, normally, yes, that would be enough of a reason!

But I'm wondering if that is just rhetoric from the keyboard warriors... I see two posts on the 5.0/5.8 efi's in just the last couple of weeks, maybe I'll poke one of those threads to see if the owner has had trouble finding parts and service.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Ford quit the marine biz, when that boat was new,..... it ain't rhetoric,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the EFI parts dont exist for them any more since OMC went out of business as the ford motors were only used for the JV project in the mid 90's

jesse_boston

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Based on this advice I passed on the boat, looking at a Doral with a Merc today.

For clarification, which EFI parts are no longer available? Injectors are actually cheap, like $259 for a set of 8...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
all of them, ECM, ignition, manifold, sensors, throttle body, harness, ..... including injectors - look up p/n 3854136 yourself. remember, these are not automotive injectors or automotive fuel systems, they are specific to marine motors..... and dont buy injectors from EBAY, its been proven time and time again, they dont work.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agreed 100% the drive/transom mount is standard Volvo SX and parts are available, except if it’s the OMC cone clutch model. Everything else fuel & ignition wise is a problem. It’s actually easier to deal with the older OMCs or Volvos that had carbs and points distributors.the parts for those by & large are in the aftermarket.