vibration and noise @ 2000rpm

adattis

Recruit
I have a 1997 Volvo penta 350 with a Sx-C1 duo prop out drive - I recently replaced engine and top half of out drive, as well as the gimble bearing and oil seal. Once I reinstalled and aligned everything I tested on muffs and I get a nasty vibration and rattling sound from the gimble bearing area between 2000 rpm and 2500 rpm. When I remove the out drive the vibration/rattle is gone. Out drive was just rebuilt and new u joints were installed in the shaft. I have also inserted the alignment tool and tested and vibration comes back. I am currently working on replacing the coupler and installing a new gimble bearing to see if that solves the issue, however I am curious if anyone has seen this before

alldodge

Staff member
have also inserted the alignment tool and tested and vibration comes back.

Howdy

If I understand correctly, the alignment bar is inserted and the vibration comes back?

If this is correct, then first don't get another bearing, pull the motor and look at the coupler. If its installed correctly with no loose bolts, then you most likely do need a couple

adattis

Recruit
Yes, vibration was present with alignment bar installed. Last night I replaced the gimble bearing and coupler, now the vibration is gone. I can't be certain which it was, however the gimble bearing seemed to have a ding in the bearing shield/cover part of it. Perhaps from installation.

alldodge

Staff member
If the bearing was installed with the incorrect tool it could have been damaged. Best check to a installed bearing is your fingers. If you can rotate the bearing and its real smooth, then its good. Good to hear you got it

If you have a dial indicator, check the run out of the coupler