5.0Gl cut out, now wont start.

JJ Schnell

Cadet
We were out on the river yesterday and the boat died. Tried for almost 2 hours to trouble shoot with repair shop on phone thinking vapor lock as it was 108 degrees out but never did get it started, ended up getting rescued and towed by Sheriff's dept.:grumpy:

Just acted like it wasn't getting any fuel as it would try to start but just wouldn't kick over. Tried cooling lines and fuel pump but didn't work. Boat has a 39 gallon tank and I stopped by gas station before going home to top off thinking maybe gauge was broken but could only get 31 gallons in.

Really bummed and hope to keep from an expensive fix or trouble shoot. I know quite a bit about cars but almost nothing about boat motors. Any suggestions or places to start looking?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Is this a carburetor GL or a fuel injected Gi?
When you say it would try to start but not "kick over", are you saying the engine would turn over rapidly when you turn the ignition key but it won't start and run on its own, or will it not turn over with the key?
This particular boat motor is just a small block chevy with some marine specific components.

JJ Schnell

Cadet
It's the GL-H motor.

The first one, tries to turn over and cranks, but wont fire. Almost like when a motor is flooded or fuel starved.

JJ Schnell

Cadet
Ok, worked on it a little today in the driveway with hose attached and finally got it to start and idles great. Still don't know what caused it though and a little worried to take it back out.

Tried starting it up initially and same thing, just cranked and wouldn't kick over. Took the air filter off and checked the carb. It seemed dry with no visible fuel. Had my son move the throttle forward to prime and only the tiniest little bit was visible. Had him just keep working it and after maybe 5-6 times of going fuel throttle (not cranking, motor not running) a large jet of fuel came out. I tried cranking it and it fired right up! Turned it off and fired right back up. Tried taking it up to 1500ish rpm's and ran like a top.

Really don't know what happened? Dirty fuel filter? Huge amount of air in line? Clog somewhere else?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Next time it wont start but is cranking over, stop and open the drain screw on the bowl of the carb to see if any fuel flows out. Based on your above summary, I suspect the fuel pump or solenoid.