Volvo Penta 4.3 gl just quit in the water!?!???

wiigelec

Seaman Apprentice
You put your meter on the green wire and the coil pin (85?) in the fuel pump relay socket check your wiring diagram...

T2fjdude

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, the only thing is I can't seem to find the wiring diagram for Omron relays. They are not the standard Volvo relays or pattern.

T2fjdude

Seaman Apprentice
I put the meter on ohms and diode and it gave me 495 from the alt. and 695 between the fuel pump and relay

T2fjdude

Seaman Apprentice
I think the decimal on that section on my screen is burnt out (its an older craftsman) So I believe it is .495 and .695. Sorry for the confusion. This tells me the drop is in parameters and the diodes are good. I also checked for flow in the opposite anode/cathode direction and it said 1.

T2fjdude

Seaman Apprentice
So, I had the alternator rebuilt to save some $$, and I got it back in. Got everything back together, and it still won't fire. I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and cranked it. It had plenty of fuel coming out so it know the pump works. The odd thing is that I fired briefly with starter fluid, but died immediately. I am just super confused here. If I have air, fuel, and spark...what's keeping this think from starting? I've done the cap and rotor, new battery, new ignition coil, fuel filter, and fresh gas.

T2fjdude

Seaman Apprentice
okay new ignition control module still didn't do the trick. Anybody have a similar experience or advice?!?!

wpshog

Recruit
I had my alternator tested today and it came back good so I'm in the same boat with you.

T2fjdude

Seaman Apprentice
They have some light brown carbon build up, but nothing drastic. They're dry and no oil on them. I got a spark testing light and I was going to check them today. I'm a one man show, so I can't pull the plug and turn the key to see if its sparking. I was also wondering if my ESS could be failing?

wpshog

Recruit
Well I got it running again today. For me it turned out to be that 7.5a fuse for the fuel pump.

wpshog

Recruit
Yes. Just took the spare plugged it in. Took a few tries before it started but now it starts right up over and over again.

T2fjdude

Seaman Apprentice
Well..... I figured it out. The engine runs great. The accelerator pump lever on the carb was not installed correctly. It was essentially upside down. I adjusted that and it fired right up. I have no idea how I missed that (well I do; too much beer). Thats the good news. BAD news.... It quit on the water because the outdrive crapped out; essentially stopping the engine. And that's why it was so tough to start the damn thing. The output shaft will no longer spin by had and it made a horrible grinding noise on startup. So, just to make sure it wasn't the engine, I pulled it and ran it without that load. now it runs like new. So calling all friends out there......!!! if you have an out drive for reasonable price, I'm on the market for one. SX-M 1.79 ratio. Thanks for all the help, and I will keep you posted with all the fun.