Winter project: 5.0GXi-E --> 5.7GXi-? ECM

I know August is only this weekend, but I'm starting to plan out my winter projects. I've been going back and forth about upgrading my (270hp) 5.0GXi-E engines with the (320hp) 5.7GXi-? for the extra hp and torque. I'm no stranger to building engines, I've done 4 different V8 Mustangs and Trans AMs each starting with bare blocks,machining, picking parts, assembling, installing, troubleshooting, etc. Obviously, marine spec has its differences but I'm not a beginner and I have most of the tools...

I have prices from Michigan Motorz for new long blocks and am working with a local machine shop on prices to bore and stroke my existing short blocks and cross checking the hard parts, it looks like they are mostly all the same between the 5.0 and 5.7 GXi-E series engines with the exception being the wiring harness.

What I need help with is the ECM. I know the 5.7s would run lean using the 5.0 ECMs, but which, if any 5.7 ECMs will work with my existing 5.0 wiring harness and sensors, etc from the GXi-E? I see that they have different harnesses, do I need to upgrade to newer wiring with the ECM?

Thanks in advance!

alldodge

Staff member
If you have a MEFI controller and not a 555, then it can be reprogrammed. There are a couple that say they can also do 555 but I'm still a skeptic

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Wasn't there someone who tried this recently and had no end of trouble?
If it were a carbed engine I would do it but EFI and having to depend on finding the right ECU, or reflashing it, I would not do it. Too risky.

Thanks all!

Looks like I have the MEFI 4 controller, so it's "doable," I'm just not sure it's worth the expense and hassle. Lou C brought me down to earth... But then again, more power would be nice... :evil:

Guess it stays on the list and we'll see what else needs to be done. The wife mentioned last night that we "need" new canvas.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
lol canvas can be as expensive as engines!
then again, having a happy wife is certainly a wonderful thing...

PS the single most useful upgrade if you ever have to change engines IMO is closed cooling. I have always hated raw water cooling because I am in salt water and what it does to engines is horrible if you are an engine guy which you seem to be. Closed cooling lets the engine run the way GM intended and adds probably 50% life to it, and even some fresh water can be quite corrosive.
Not having to pull those damn drain plugs, deal with pulling off hoses in November, etc, makes the cost 100% worth it. If I ever repower this boat for SURE it will have a half system for the block/heads, and a remote oil filter mount...

You weren't kidding! Replacing the full camper canvas with factory original from Great Lakes Boat Top isn't cheap!