98 5.7 no start.

Mike@mpr82

Recruit
I need help. I have a 1998 5.7GSIPBYCCE engine.
a little history. Last year after 1300 hours On engine I had it replaced with long block reman by Volvo. Every thing was going well till late in season when boat died and would not restart.

somebody mentioned The fuel relays, Possibly being bad. further investigation I found the Sockets of the Relays for fuel pump appeared to have a oily substance in them. I assumed the substance was from cleaning old engine prior to removal. Cleaned relay plug where they plug into sockets, Engine started.

Logged about 4 hours and it happened again. Cleaned socket again. After third time of cleaning fuel relay sockets I am thinking The oily residue is coming from relays. R/R relays. Volvo marine OEM relays are sealed

Now unfortunatly boat will not start. Tried old relays Still not starting either.

I was able to apply 12vdc directly to low pressure pump. It spun up. When I tried to start The engine Normally with key, it started onE time. And no more. Back to no start.

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like the ECM is not applying a ground to the fuel pump relay. Check continuity between relay and J1-23

50 and 57 Gi GSi.jpg50 and 57 Gi GSi pin out.jpg

Mike@mpr82

Recruit
Here is an update on this issue. It has been resolved. I found that the 12Vdc to the fuel relays was fluctuating, going from 6VDC to 13VDC. The 20amp push button relay located next to the relays had a loose post. Initially thought that there was a broken wire in the harness. when I went to remove the circuit breaker, the stud fell out. I suspect the circuit breaker stud probably got bumped during the engine removal and reinstallation process.