Glaston GXL 205 wont start :-(

Captain DJ

Recruit
Hello iBoats community can anyone help, new to website?

I bought a2007 Glaston GXL 205, with a 5.0 GXI motor last year. It had 270 hours and I have put 35 hours on it and has not missed a beat, (freshwater lake in Florida) until 2 weeks ago... switched off in the middle of a lake and then would not start. Had the tow home of shame.

When turn key, it beeps, fuel pump wurrs, and then no other noise, no clicks from starter or engine, and will not turn over.
Battery guage reads 10 volts. All other electrics work, bilge, blower etc.

So I put a jump box on it, assuming battery was flat. No good.
Battery read 12.6v, but I still changed it for a brand new one. No good, battery guage on dashboard still reads 10v

So to date I have:
1. Installed New Battery
2. Checked kill switch, works fine.
3. Checked all fuses and relays, all good.
4. Replaced neutral safety switch in the controller.

So still same issue. My next idea is the starter, but its a real pain to get to on this boat, so before I take apart the engine bay, any other bright ideas from anyone cleverer than me??

Thank you in anticipation........

southkogs

Staff member
Captain DJ - I've moved you into the Volvo forum. I think that's what a 5.0 GXI is.

Let me know if that's not the correct engine.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Things that keep the starter from engaging is the start assist relay (on top the motor), the neutral safety switch or the key switch not applying power to the start assist relay. I don't see it as being the starter and while battery voltage should be higher then 10V, you did use a jump box which had no effect

Turn key to start, and while keeping key is start position move the throttle handle FWD/AFT slightly.

If that does work, find the start assist relay and remove it. Use a voltmeter and measure contacts. Pin 30 will have 12V full time, pin 85 should get 12V when key is turned to start

Captain DJ

Recruit
alldodge... you are a genius my friend, I am so grateful for your response, I have just been and tried the moving the handle slightly and it started... first time for 2 weeks!
This post was my last resort before it went into the shop and spent a $1k!

So at least I am narrowing it down, slight issue that neutral will not engage which I need to look at how I put the controller back on as I have done something wrong.....

I had checked the relay this morning, and it had had continuity across 30 and 85 (watched a you tube video this morning to learn that :))... does that relay need replacing?

Once again a big thank you for your assistance.......

alldodge

Staff member
If the relay is removed and you have continuity there would be a problem. If your reading it still installed maybe not. Not an expert with the GXI. Since the boat starts the relay is ok I would say

relay contacts.jpg

Captain DJ

Recruit
alldodge, appreciate your help, you are a star! I will mess with controller but at least I got it started ! Thank you.....