Volvo Penta must be primed everytime it's shutoff

devon32

Cadet
Hello,

I have a 2006 Volvo penta 4.3GL. After replacing my throttle cable and sterndive bellows, I reconnected my battery and tried to start the boat and would only crank, not turn over. So I primed the lines and it started right up. Turned it off and then same issue, had to reprime the lines to start it. Boat runs all day long with no issues until I shut it off and try to restart it. Replaced the line going from the fuel pump to the carb since it was old. Don't see fuel coming out of any other lines. What should I be looking for here? Any advice helps!

Thank you!

alldodge

Staff member
With a carb there should be no issue of having fuel to start. Guess I need to understand what you mean by priming the lines. What are you doing to prime?

devon32

Cadet
I have been taking the line from the fuel pump to the carb off and using a fuel priming bulb and a regular gas can and filling the fuel lines and filling the fuel pump. Then re attach the fuel line to the carb. After doing that, boat starts right up. So somehow I'm guessing my fuel lines are draining and causing the fuel pump to be dry and not pump unless primed.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my guess the anti-siphon valve is either not there, or damaged. that is on the tank

alldodge

Staff member
In that case you have a weak fuel pump or a antisiphon valve that is mostly closed. My first guess is a weak fuel pump.

Not knowing which GL model (A, B, C ...etc) but do think they all have an electric fuel pump

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
yes, all 4.3's used electric pumps from about 96 on.....