Volvo Penta Main Power Connector Pinout

Beenydu

Cadet
Good morning all! We purchased a 1998 Larson 186 with a Volvo Penta 4.3 GL. Short story is that we bought it with the engine destroyed by failed riser gasket which allowed salt water in. We have built a new 4.3, upgraded to edelbrock 2114, edelbrock 1403 4 BBL and getting close to fire the new engine. I would like to start/run the engine for a few minutes before installing to verify distributor install and timing.

To start it I am needing to understand the wiring pinout on the main connector to know how to wire up a temporary start switch. Does anyone have this information by chance? Thank you in advance for all your help!

Beenydu

Cadet
WOW! Thank you alldodge! I will update as soon as I can rig up a support for the engine to sit on and start.

Beenydu

Cadet
Sorry, one more question about that pinout. Do I need to jumper a terminal for the electric fuel pump?

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry, one more question about that pinout. Do I need to jumper a terminal for the electric fuel pump?

Don't know which GL it is, but no should not need that
When cranking the power is applied to the Yel/Red to assist relay and to diode feeding FP relay

Once motor starts the alternator supplies power to the FP relay thru another diode

This is a GL-C/D

VP wiring GL_C,D.jpg

Beenydu

Cadet
That helps a ton! I don't recall hearing the fuel pump run when we were trying to start the engine (before we realized it was destroyed). This will be a huge help in trying to diagnose that issue as well.

Beenydu

Cadet
Good morning all, wanted to say again how much I appreciate the quick help. We were able to crank the new boat engine yesterday and it ran exceptionally well! The pinout was 100% correct. Thanks again and Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers on the forum!