EVC Key Error

D_Nyholm

Cadet
I have a 2012 5.0 Gxice that will give me a 'key error' when I first turn on the battery switch regardless if the keys are in the switch or not. I have to wait for the power to shut down to the evc (I assume there is a few minute time to save power) and then I can turn the key and start the boat.

I have the 2.5 inch evc screens, one for each engine.

The manual is no help as it just states there is bad wiring somewhere. I have followed the wires and i see no breaks, bubbles, crimps or anything before it heads to the nmea(?) Connections. I have tried to disconnect the 3 wires to the key switch and clean them but it has not helped at all.

Is there any way you can guide me as to where to look? If it requires a new key switch, I'd be happy to purchase them for the 2 motors so they can have matching keys and I could also have spares which I dont have.

Thanks in advance.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are these smart keys by any chance with an anti-theft RFID chip inside? The manual may say if they are smart.

alldodge

Staff member
Not familiar with it but I'm thinking stay alive power. The bat switch is killing all power, and the new engines have a wire which needs to be connected even when the bat is disconnected. Like the clock in your car, very little power is used. So when power is turned ON it has to reset

Hey muc have any thoughts?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
AD - You may have the answer. The delay could be for rebooting after power is restored. Sounds good. Have to see what muc thinks.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
"key error" or KEY FAILURE ?
Port, starboard or both?
Engine serial numbers?
Stand alone HCU (helm control unit) or is the HCU part of the throttle and shift levers?
EVC version, A,B,C,C2,C3,D,E etc.?
What is the LED on the two AKI (analog key interface) doing when you turn the battery switches on?

I'm happy to help you, but it is nice to find out the final conclusion. What fixed your last EVC question?
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...vo-gxice-5-0-dps-b-drive-goes-down-but-not-up

alldodge

Staff member
I wonder if the OP is having trouble finding his post

D_Nyholm

Cadet
I'm here. Just took pictures of all the data I'll need to update the post and will do so tonight. I appreciate the help so far!

D_Nyholm

Cadet
"key error" or KEY FAILURE ?
Port, starboard or both?
Engine serial numbers?
Stand alone HCU (helm control unit) or is the HCU part of the throttle and shift levers?
EVC version, A,B,C,C2,C3,D,E etc.?
What is the LED on the two AKI (analog key interface) doing when you turn the battery switches on?

I'm happy to help you, but it is nice to find out the final conclusion. What fixed your last EVC question?
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...own-but-not-up

Hello,
It seems the error states 'Key Failure See Op Manual'
This is on the starboard engine. Port is fine
Serial number for starboard engine isA204563 (port is A204564) It does have a new printout on it stating it was programmed in Jan 2018 and I purchased the boat in July 2018. This issue has occurred since I owned the boat and I just lived with it last season.
I am not sure what a HCU is, if you mean the EVC screens, i have one screen for each engine.
EVC is version D
The LED on the AKI is blinking green on both engines

As far as my last error, I never really fixed it. I did find that unplugging and plugging the trim sensor harness in multiple times seems to have helped. I dont see any corrosion but I assume it is there. I now can use down on the individual engine control (up does not work), but the trim that controls both motors will allow the starboard drive to raise. The gauge works correctly now that the plug has been cycled.

As for the other posts, my key is not any sort of smart key or chipped key. It is just a regular key into a 3 wire ignition switch.

For the 'stay alive power' or memory, this occurs when I first turn the battery switches on. If i leave them on and don't do anything, the starboard EVC will shut down to a blank screen. THat is when I can then start the engine. When I turn on the port battery, the EVC does not seem to power up like the starboard does and I can start that engine normally. Not sure if or why they would behave differently?

I attached a link to some pictures I was able to take today. The other control module (not the AKI) has 2 red lights. The left is solid red and the right one blinks red. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Thank you!
Dennis

muc

You don't have stay alive power. That wasn't part of EVC-D
The starboard EVC screen should NOT light up when you turn the battery switches on. The only thing that should happen when the batt switches are turned on is the AKI green lights star blinking. The EVC should be waiting for input from the key switches to "wake up". So the question is why does the EVC wakeup and turn the stbd screen on without the key switch on?

There are 2 possible causes for this.
1. Corrupted software.
The PCU (powertrain control unit) was replaced Jan 2018. When we get these from Volvo they come without any software in them and we load it. The dealer that did the work didn't place any notes in the Volvo system on why it was replaced (maybe you got a copy of the repair order when you purchased the boat? Knowing why it had to be replaced might help). The only note is that the first PCU they installed wouldn't load the program so they had to install a second one. My best guess is that this is not your problem because there are many cross checks to make sure the correct software loaded and is operating properly. But it's also something that can only be checked by a Volvo dealer with the VODIA scan tool.
2. There is voltage or ground on one of the wires that shouldn't be there.
This could be caused by many many things.
The first thing that comes to mind. is someone added something to the boat and connected it to the wrong wires. The NEMA 2000 gateway is something I have questions about. These are usually added if there is an auto pilot or chart plotter installed. Does the boat have these? And do you think came on the boat when new or added later?
The next thing is some cables that connect all the EVC components together might be plugged into the wrong place. I recommend that you follow the wires from the key switches to the AKI boxes and see that they all go to the right place and no extra wires have been added. The AKI boxes should have 4 wire bundles coming out. bundle one goes to the key switch only (nothing else, just those 3 wires and no wires spliced into them** bundle two goes to the warning horn {again no wires spliced in) bundle three will go to the safety lanyard (most EVC-D boats will have only one safety lanyard and it needs to be connected to the port AKI the stbd AKI shouldn't have anything plugged in this bundle) the fourth bundle will go to the HCU (helm control unit) according to the build sheet for your Volvo package this should be the underside of the throttle and shift control. The port AKI should plug into the the opening with 8 pins, the stbd AKI should go to an adapter harness that allows it to plug into the opening with 4 pins. (once again, no extra wires spliced in). While you are looking at the HCU, there should be 7 opening to plug into but you should only be using 5 of them.

So, summary of questions for you.
1. Do you know why the stbd PCU was replaced?
2. When do the red lights on the gateway start blinking, when you turn on batt switches or key switches? Do you know why there is a gateway installed on your boat? For your information the red lights work like this, the one on the left should be on solid whenever a key is turned on, the one on the right is for diagnostics. Here is how it works. Is it working properly?
Diagnostic LED
Constant lit -
The unit is powered up but receives no communication from any side.
Flashes on off repeatedly -
The unit is receiving and transmitting valid NMEA and MULTILINK data.
Flashes 2 strobes and then off repeatedly -
The unit is receiving MULTILINK data but has no NMEA connection
Flashes 3 strobes and then off repeatedly -
The unit is receiving NMEA data but has no MULTILINKconnection.
3. What did you find when you traced the AKI wires and are there 5 connectors plugged into the HCU?
4. Will you promise to tell us what fixed this or if you decide to just live with it?

Once we get these questions answered, if it's still not working right there are other places to look at that don't require special tools.

Is it possible to take some more pictures? Some pictures of the dash front and back would help me better understand what components your boat has installed.

D_Nyholm

Cadet
Thanks Muc,
havent been able to make it down to the boat yet but I will definitely look at everything and take pictures. Hopefully we can narrow down the cause! The good thing is I can take parts from the port engine to see if I can find the faults!

D_Nyholm

Cadet
I was able to make it down to the boat today. Traced the wiring based on what you told me and everything looks exactly as you said it would. The only difference is neither of the wires for the safety lanyards are plugged into anything (I believe since the boat is 32', it does not need one. I even switched the key switches (no change) and the plug from the key switch to the AKI (no change) both kept it on the starboard engine, so I figure that rules them out. I took a bunch of pictures that I hope you can decipher and have attached them at the bottom. Here are the answers to your questions:

So, summary of questions for you.
1. Do you know why the stbd PCU was replaced? I don't know why it was replaced. I do not have contact with the previous owner unfortunately.
2. When do the red lights on the gateway start blinking, when you turn on batt switches or key switches? Do you know why there is a gateway installed on your boat? For your information the red lights work like this, the one on the left should be on solid whenever a key is turned on, the one on the right is for diagnostics. Here is how it works. Is it working properly? The green lights on the AKI are on when I turn the battery on. The Red light (left solid, right constant blinking) come on when I turn either key to the run position. I do not know why there is a gateway on the boat. I do not have a chart plotter or auto pilot on the boat. Just a garmin GPS.

Diagnostic LED

Flashes on off repeatedly -
The unit is receiving and transmitting valid NMEA and MULTILINK data.

3. What did you find when you traced the AKI wires and are there 5 connectors plugged into the HCU? All the lines are in factory loom and there are no extra splices in any of them. I was not able to remove the HCU, I could only take a picture to see that there are 5 plugs into the bottom which I have attached.
4. Will you promise to tell us what fixed this or if you decide to just live with it? I would love to fix this but I have a feeling I am going to need to hire a volvo tech, and the closest one is quite far away!

muc

Thanks for the pictures, they help.
I have a question about the first pic that shows the 2 X-5 multiink buses, There appears to be 2 orange "wire nuts" splicing wires into one of the X-5 cables. The later pics of that side of the bus don't show those wire nuts. Splicing into any of these bus cables can cause problems. Those splices need to be removed and the X-5 cable repaired or more likely replaced. These are can bus cables and it is recommended that anytime they get damaged they be replaced. Do you know how long those wire nuts have been there?

The gateway is working as it's designed.

It was a good idea to swap the key switches. And you are correct that you have ruled them out. But I will caution you about swapping side to side. Some of the components that have software loaded into them need to stay where they are because this system is all inter connected. Some times they can be swapped side to side and then re-run auto-configuration. Sometimes that doesn't work.

Next I would swap the AKI's from side to side. Unplug the 8 pin connector from the HCU and set it aside, now follow the 4 pin connector wire about 7-8" down from the HCU, you should find 8 pin connector, unplug it and plug that one into the HCU, now plug the first one in the 4 pin wire. And test run the engines to if the problem moved. This will probably require you to cut a bunch of tie straps. Most of these tie straps are needed, so remember where they were and replace them when you put everything back together after this test.

Yes, you may have to hire a tech. This may come down to something that requires their VODIA scantool to resolve. But depending on where you are it could be very difficult. The market that I used to work in, Volvo techs who had a good understanding of the EVC system are not very common. I was very rarely allowed to work on any boat that had not been purchased from the dealer that I worked for. The idea was that my time was better spent keeping someone who had spent $100,000 to $500,000 at our dealership happy with their boat than it was to make the $170 an hour helping a customer who might never come back.