2013-14 4.3 Water in #4 only

Mikey N.C.

Seaman
Ok. Update, ran motor today on muffs instead of direct hook up on motor side. Ran motor at 1800 rpm for about 30 mins. shut down , waited about 30 mins. pulled #4 spark plug , pulled kill switch, turned motor over no water coming out #4. It didn't make oil. Sucked out oil and changed filter. Fired motor back up on muffs, for 30 mins. at 2300 rpms. Oil was like new, a suprise to me, it's usually 4 oil and filter changes to clear. I'm guessing it was so full of mixed oil, that it cleared that quick. So steel gasket was reused at riser elbow (don't know if it's was a MLS gasket, don't look like one, just thin metal) I replaced with graphite type. I'm replacing seawater impeller at crank, had a o-ring leak. Will test in lake after.

Mikey N.C.

Seaman
1999-2004 clymer book says they used flapper , this 4.3 GL-G with SX doesn't it has the round plate , with like 7/16 holes, but no pin holes for flap like merc. So solved this problem without pulling head or intake. I hope , will find out under heavy load. Question why would merc. use a thick riser -elbow gasket and Volvo-Penta use a thin metal gasket ?
Thanks for all input guys, I'll be here with more questions THANKS ! ! After lake test I'll post .

Mikey N.C.

Seaman
Lou c could you please elaborate on vacuum break valves on elbows ? I've not seen these on mercs.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
1999-2004 clymer book says they used flapper , .

NEVER EVER EVER use a Clymer, Hanes or Seloc manual unless your outhouse needs toilet paper. Use only the factory manual.

the information in Clymer manuals is worse than the other two and they all have the wrong information in them.

Mikey N.C.

Seaman
Ok, yes factory manuals are the best. We have alot. But we're a small shop, so some manuals are better than nothing.
We work on everything in the water. So manuals (original) are good for some. Unless u been to sch.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Lou c could you please elaborate on vacuum break valves on elbows ? I've not seen these on mercs.

VP added these when they went to the Vortec engines because they tended to pull back more water in the exhaust than the non vortec engines, they were a one way valve that screwed into the side of the elbow to prevent vacuum from building up in the exhaust system (allow air in but not out of the valve).

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Exha...on_id.609219084--store_id.366--view_id.776004

Part # 27....I didn't need these when I converted my non vortec to this Volvo style exhaust (had the old OMC one piece V6 manifolds before) but if I repower with a vortec 4.3 then I'd add them....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
When vacuum develops in the exhaust system, the valve allows air to enter the exhaust gas passage, to relieve the vacuum, which other wise would pull water back in, but does not allow air (hot) to exit. One way valve. It just allows outside air into the exhaust gas passage. No exhaust is allowed out.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
1999-2004 clymer book says they used flapper , this 4.3 GL-G with SX doesn't it has the round plate , with like 7/16 holes, but no pin holes for flap like merc. So solved this problem without pulling head or intake. I hope , will find out under heavy load. Question why would merc. use a thick riser -elbow gasket and Volvo-Penta use a thin metal gasket ?
Thanks for all input guys, I'll be here with more questions THANKS ! ! After lake test I'll post .
Here is the service bulletin that Volvo put out over 20 years ago about the flapper.
Flapper Parts Bull.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ok, yes factory manuals are the best. We have alot. But we're a small shop, so some manuals are better than nothing.
We work on everything in the water. So manuals (original) are good for some. Unless u been to sch.

you can view the manuals on-line, no excuse to use wrong information.