No fwd or rev with Volvo Penta SX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QBhoy View Post

Ah. Glad you showed up Muc. I didn’t think these had a cone clutch. For some reason I thought the sx was straight cut dog clutch. If it does, wrong oil or water will be a suspect. Does the sx have a cone clutch right enough ?
    I believe the following two statements to be true.
    All Volvo Penta sterndrives have cone clutch shifting.
    No Volvo Penta sterndrives have a water pump impeller in them.

highpowerdad When you shift into gear and it doesn’t engage, have you tried slowly increasing the throttle to see what happens?
    Last edited by muc; February 9th, 2020, 12:55 PM.
    Good Luck Muc

Comment

Muc,
      Yes, I have revved the engine into the 2K range and noting happens, when I was in the lagoon area yesterday and "stranded" I probably revved it up more than that and nothing happened...then I phoned a friend for the tow...Waiting for another hour to start it up again and see...if it all starts over again.
      Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by highpowerdad View Post
        Muc,
        Yes, I have revved the engine into the 2K range and noting happens, when I was in the lagoon area yesterday and "stranded" I probably revved it up more than that and nothing happened...then I phoned a friend for the tow...Waiting for another hour to start it up again and see...if it all starts over again.
        Thank you
        Very unusual, can't think of anything that would cause your symptoms other then bad gear lube.

Once you or the shop get this sorted out ----- please post the cause!
        Good Luck Muc

Comment

Originally posted by muc View Post

Very unusual, can't think of anything that would cause your symptoms other then bad gear lube.

Once you or the shop get this sorted out ----- please post the cause!
          Will, do, it's probably going to be a couple weeks before I get it out of the water and to the shop, just too many other activities going on...but I will be back with an answer....or a boat for sale...btw, I started it up again this afternoon, no go, I will check again tonight before I lift it out of the water...

Comment

Originally posted by muc View Post

I believe the following two statements to be true.
            All Volvo Penta sterndrives have cone clutch shifting.
            No Volvo Penta sterndrives have a water pump impeller in them.

highpowerdad When you shift into gear and it doesn’t engage, have you tried slowly increasing the throttle to see what happens?
            Good to know.

never had one nor worked on one. Not too common really, here at least. Had a 270 and 290. Worked on then and 280’s. Never the SX. Presumed them being lesser drives than the larger, to be straight cut. Thanks !

Comment

Try taking the prop off at least, just in case it’s the hub. Just to rule it’s out maybe.

Comment

Or perhaps change the gear oil to the VP specified oil.
                1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
                4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
                07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

Originally posted by Lou C View Post
                  Or perhaps change the gear oil to the VP specified oil.
                  before you tow to the shop...

Comment

Try taking the prop off at least, just in case it’s the hub. Just to rule it’s out maybe.
                    Yes, I will switch the prop out while it is still in the water....as for the gear oil, the shop that remanufactured it uses amsoil, it had that brand in it since I got it from them, so I don't think that is it, but I will let them look at it, I don't want to try to change the oil while on the lift, and once it is out of the water, it will be going straight to the shop...thanks for the ideas, talked to the service manager yesterday, he was stumped on this one also...

Comment

Yes, I will switch the prop out while it is still in the water....as for the gear oil, the shop that remanufactured it uses amsoil, it had that brand in it since I got it from them, so I don't think that is it, but I will let them look at it, I don't want to try to change the oil while on the lift, and once it is out of the water, it will be going straight to the shop...thanks for the ideas, talked to the service manager yesterday, he was stumped on this one also...
                      What is the grade of amsoil they used. I remember years ago I used quicksilver gear oil in my cone clutch 290dp VP drive...it didn’t like it when warm. Would slip the cone.

Comment

What is the grade of amsoil they used. I remember years ago I used quicksilver gear oil in my cone clutch 290dp VP drive...it didn’t like it when warm. Would slip the cone.
                        I'm assuming amsoil marine gear lube, but I actually don't know. This is a larger shop that is vp certified, I would assume they use a compatible oil...the problem seems more mechanical, if it works, it works well, when it doesn't work, there is nothing, no noise, no movement, nothing...like it isn't even connected, but it is. hopefully I will get it out of the water this weekend...
                        Scott

Comment

This is a larger shop that is vp certified
                          If they are a Volvo Penta certified dealer, They would use Volvo Penta gear lube. It is part of the dealer agreement. We use Volvo parts and lubes --- so problems like this don't happen.

Volvo parts have a one year warranty, two years parts and labor if a Volvo dealer installs them.

Good Luck Muc

Comment

Well, spent some time trying to trouble shoot this after work today…
                            1. With the motor not running, in gear, fwd or reverse, I can basically stand on the prop blade and it does not rotate…in one direction, in the other direction it rotates freely - reverses which way when I change from fwd to rev, which is the way it should be. So, even if the hub was spun, it should have enough to rotate at lower rpms…but
                            2. With the motor running, no forward and no reverse, no noise no nothing.
                            3. Tried to see if anything was obvious back at the drive shaft inside the transom, it spins…I am assuming I am seeing the shaft from sterndrive…toward the motor is a big red disc that also spins…
                            NOW the bone head move I made was that when I was trying to see the drive shaft, I forgot to put the drive back down, so the drive was UP and mostly out of the water…I am not concerned with the u-joints as there was no load, but it warmed up quickly, Not overheating though, no buzzers or anything, it was probably for 5 minutes, no more than 10 at idle only…I am guessing I probably ruined the impeller…but I know how to fix that, its been 18 months anyway…it didn’t cool when I put the drive down, the gauge was probably reading 185-190 or so, I had never seen it above 175. Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Just going to get a neighbor tow me out...

Comment

Working...
                            X