4.3 1993 Volvo Penta Starting and initial Acceleration Struggle

rperla

Seaman
Had carburetor rebuilt. After pumping the gas about three times then turning the key to start, will start a minute then stall. After the same procedure 3-4 times will start, but if I try to accelerate will stall, If I use the quick start, it will usually keep running. When in idle if I accelerate, it sounds as if the carb is sucking in air, it makes a vacuum type of sound. If I can accelerate to a higher rpm and get past the vacuum sound it will run at a higher rpm. It appears as if a low mid acceleration gets this vacuum type of sound. I thought of changing carbs, is there any other solutions? Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Had carburetor rebuilt.

Ayuh,..... It sounds like the carb wasn't rebuilt right, or not tuned right,......

What was the reason for the initial rebuild,..??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
agree with AD, the carb rebuild wasnt done properly

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Who,..??..??..??..

Brain fart Bondo........ Brain fart....... too many windows open and I thought I saw AD's Avatar......

rperla the carb on the VP should be a holley. 99% of the time people simply soak and blow the passages...... that doesnt work. need to run a small wire or fishingline in each passage to make sure the passage is clean. then during assembly, need to verify the squirters, etc. all are working. once you understand that a Holley carb is as simple as a kohler toilet valve, they are easy to work on.

rperla

Seaman
Thanks all for answers. I got a rebuild because it wasn't turning over at all. Prior to that it would accelerate then decelerate and stall. After the rebuild it started and I ran it for a few hours, then the next week went back to starting like I described above. I agree that probably the rebuild was poor.

Bondo

Staff member
I got a rebuild because it wasn't turning over at all.

Ayuh,...... Has the Contents of the fuel filter been examined for anything but clean fresh gasoline,..??

I've seen brand new carbs pumped fulla crap from polluted fuel systems before,.....

Btw,...... Turning over is what a motor does when the starter is engaged,......

Start, or Run is, I believe, what you were tryin' to say above,......

rperla

Seaman
Thanks for your feedback. I'm going to check it out again this weekend.

rperla

Seaman
_qKAuKig7NV3PPRDoysxAE5_Oj_TsFQ4ZwFXdNj8mDOpbF2c4lKQcLUYBR-SpHPSugQveM8RtOx3IfXfCIFT1heECFobdvRruLQzbdA=s0-d-e1-ft
By the way, what is your opinion on Rochester carb replacements?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
_qKAuKig7NV3PPRDoysxAE5_Oj_TsFQ4ZwFXdNj8mDOpbF2c4lKQcLUYBR-SpHPSugQveM8RtOx3IfXfCIFT1heECFobdvRruLQzbdA=s0-d-e1-ft
By the way, what is your opinion on Rochester carb replacements?

Rebuild your carb unless it is corroded then you know it’s the right carb with correct jets, Venturi cluster, and accelerator nozzle vs something a rebuilder built out of a bunch of cores.

Dandydan

Seaman Apprentice
My experience is pointing to dirty or water in gas. Check your fuel water separator.