Replacing Volvo Penta gas engine 5.7 with a Volvo Penta 6.2

Mike Simjack

Cadet
I have a 2002 Volvo Penta 5.7 GI BF fuel injected engined with DPS out drive, in my 25' ocean boat. I have been thinking about re powering it. I have been looking at the Volvo Penta 6.0 or 6.2 350 HP complete engine and rebuilding my current DPS out drive. Has any one had any experience with this conversion?
Thank You.

Mike Simjack

Cadet
I want to up grade to more hp.The engine in it now is a 270 hp the new one is 350 hp. I know the boat will perform better with more hp.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
it would all depend on a few things. Are you getting a complete engine 6.2 multi point injection with all the gear ? If you aren’t and only the engine, then expecting to use your current single point injection and ecu from 5.7 gi...you have a real headache

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ps. Either way...your current DP drive will take it no bother. Just need a props change. All being well with it currently.
hopefully your boat is a keeper. If it is the case that you are getting the full 6.2 mpi and all the running gear...I know how much these cost. You’ll never get your money back usually if you sell. Your boat would need to be worth plenty or you plan on her being a keeper.
good luck regardless and all the best.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
The 6.1L is available in 380 or 430HP
The 5.3L is available in 300 or 350HP
I don't believe they offer the 6.0L anymore.

5.7 Gi BF doesn't appear to be a valid model designation. Would need a serial number.

Volvo usually makes adapters to do this. Trim control and gauges will probably need adapters.

Mike Simjack

Cadet
QBoy: Yes Im purchasing the complete engine. The motor I'm looking at is the Kodak 6.2 V8 VVT DI (L86) 420 hp. from KEM Equipment in Oregon. Full freshwater cooling.
muc: Thank you for the information. Ill be getting the wiring harness with the motor.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
QBoy: Yes Im purchasing the complete engine. The motor I'm looking at is the Kodak 6.2 V8 VVT DI (L86) 420 hp. from KEM Equipment in Oregon. Full freshwater cooling.
muc: Thank you for the information. Ill be getting the wiring harness with the motor.

My goodness...you’re going to need some serious thought around a props change at least then. Superb sounding engine. Is this the same engine based on the GM 383 ?
what props are you running just now. Can’t remember what you said the drive was (posting on phone and not easy to see while typing) ? Was it a 290 DP variation ? If so and you are already at a B5 set or similar...you may run out of prop selection off the shelf and need a ratio change, if available. Just to use the extra power perhaps.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The 6.1L is available in 380 or 430HP
The 5.3L is available in 300 or 350HP
I don't believe they offer the 6.0L anymore.

5.7 Gi BF doesn't appear to be a valid model designation. Would need a serial number.

Volvo usually makes adapters to do this. Trim control and gauges will probably need adapters.

Muck I think he is referring to the earlier GM based 350 and 383 engines and not the newer types perhaps. His 5.7 Gi would be a tbi 350 GM.

Mike Simjack

Cadet
No my engine is a 5.7 GI-BF. I know it doesn't show up on the normal schematics but I have found it in the past. Basically it is the fuel injected motor with electronic ignition 270 hp. The new engine is the GM 6.2 aluminum block, heads and comes with aluminum exhaust manifolds and closed cooling system . My out drive is the DPS A-195. I have been assured this outdrive will hold up as long as I don't get crazy with the throttle. The props are F-3's on the boat now.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
No my engine is a 5.7 GI-BF. I know it doesn't show up on the normal schematics but I have found it in the past. Basically it is the fuel injected motor with electronic ignition 270 hp. The new engine is the GM 6.2 aluminum block, heads and comes with aluminum exhaust manifolds and closed cooling system . My out drive is the DPS A-195. I have been assured this outdrive will hold up as long as I don't get crazy with the throttle. The props are F-3's on the boat now.

Yeah. The Gi VP 5.7 is the throttle body injected single point GM 350.
the 6.2 you mean must be the newer type if it’s ally.
you’ll still need a major prop change if you can even get a set with a serious enough pitch off the shelf for that drive. Might be hard to get.

Mike Simjack

Cadet
Thank you for the thought. Here in SanDiego we have a couple of prop builders. Pacific marine propellers come to mine.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
You will need to contact KEM on what is needed to adapt this engine to your boat. KEM uses the MEFI 7, Volvo never used this ECM. I doubt that a Volvo dealer will be able to service this engine. If you want to get the one year warranty, you will need to have a KEM dealer install the engine. Otherwise it comes with a 90 day warranty.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Is this the same engine based on the GM 383 ?

Nope, new LT based motor with VVT ( variable valve timing). Volvo hasnt used a GM gen 1 SBC for about 10 years

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Nope, new LT based motor with VVT ( variable valve timing). Volvo hasnt used a GM gen 1 SBC for about 10 years

Thanks. But that was early in the post perhaps.
afterwards I’d said it must be the newer Ally engine.
All the best.