Out drive Corrosion

Buckeye guy

Recruit
I’m looking at buying a chaparral that has been in salt water which worries me because I’m a fresh water guy. The boat itself is in great shape the price reasonable. The out drive has corrosion and pitting on it the salesman told me it’s been flushed after use and dry docked at their marina it’s whole life. Is this corrosion normal maybe the anodes have not never been replaced?

Attachments

• photo324690.jpg
    photo324690.jpg
    743.1 KB · Views: 7

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That does not look good to me. I have an 18 year-old V-P outdrive operated in fresh water and it certainly doesn’t look like that. I would get a pro to check it out. And since it’s a saltwater boat, I recommend that the exhaust risers be inspected for condition.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
The price needs to more than "reasonable" --- even at "great" or "cheap"----- it's still usually better to buy a freshwater boat with no corrosion.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard

second, I really dont believe marinas do that good of a job "flushing after use" like they claim. and since the salesperson is trying to sell this to you, dont believe him/her.

third, that is way too much corrosion for a maintained boat. that is corrosion from a neglected boat with minimal to no maintenance. negotiate the cost of a reman'd drive if you have your heart set on that boat.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
You can alter the appearance of that drive, assuming the internals are good, but it will take a little time and effort. The drive can be pulled, sanded down to bare metal. Then mix some epoxy and fill in the corroded areas. sand down and prime and paint. It`s not a deal breaker if the boat checks out and the price is right, its just going to take some time and elbow grease.

tpenfield

Staff member
Not good, a properly maintained/protected outdrive . . . even in salt water . . . should not be showing the that amount of corrosion.

Buckeye guy

Recruit
So I got some more info on the boat the previous owners just put $3500 into the boat last October. The engine was pulled and new oil pan and oil hoses have been installed, new shift cable,raw water pump,lower unit gear oil change,zincs and the service report says prop rehub. I thought dual props didn’t have hubs? Why would a engine with less then 200 hours need the oil pan changed? Salt water sitting in the bilge? The boat has obviously been neglected but does it just need a good home now or is it to far gone?

tpenfield

Staff member
Hard to say if it is worth your time, effort, and $$$$. Also . . . Keep in mind that the $3500 'put into the boat' did nothing for the value of the boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
So I got some more info on the boat the previous owners just put $3500 into the boat last October. The engine was pulled and new oil pan and oil hoses have been installed, new shift cable,raw water pump,lower unit gear oil change,zincs and the service report says prop rehub. I thought dual props didn’t have hubs? Why would a engine with less then 200 hours need the oil pan changed? Salt water sitting in the bilge? The boat has obviously been neglected but does it just need a good home now or is it to far gone?

if you pay the marina to do that work, its about $200 in parts and about $3300 in labor

if you do the work yourself, its $200 in parts and about a weekend.

and yes, salt water sitting in the bilge, which still screams "neglected and not-maintained" and yes, VP props have hubs

you do not state the year, however if the boat was used and properly maintained, 200 hours is about 4-5 years old.

I myself am a glutton for punishment on projects. I wouldnt buy it. however, only you can answer if this boat is too far gone. its been neglected, it will need some serious TLC

so how much is the marina asking for this boat that may need a new drive and had salt water sitting in the bilge rotting everything?