V6-200-A Volvo Penta

RomeoAlpha

Recruit
Hello, I am considering buying a 2nd hand 2015 boat with a V6-200-A Volvo Penta. I've been told to watch-out for issues with this engine (from one of the dealers) and wanted to check if anyone has any views? The engine has been regularly serviced, just completed a 100 hr service at a reputable dealership. Any advice would be much appreciated as I am a new boat buyer. I haven't been able to find anything on the internet with regards to issues with V6-200-A engines.

Looks like the current engine version is V6-200-G - does anyone know what the differences are between the various Letter engine models?

thanks,

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
The V6-200-A is the cast iron block and heads, multi-port fuel injected 4.3 liter GM engine that was used for many years in boats, it has proven to be a great engine and I'm not aware of any issues to watch-out for.

The V6-200-G is also a GM 4.3 liter. But it is a completely different engine. It is an aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection with variable valve timing.

These 2 engines have very few parts in common.

I don't spend much time with the V6 engines, I spend a lot more with the V8s. But from talking to the techs who work on both it seems that the V6 and V8 are pretty much the same in terms of how they preform. And these new aluminum, DFI with VVT are way more powerful feeling. They may be rated the same but when you drive them, they feel like they have way more mid-range power. The new engines haven't been in boats long enough to say that they are great yet. But they have been trouble free so far.

My advice to you as a 1st time boat buyer.
Do one of these two things before buying any used boat.
1. Have a friend who has driven at least 4 different boats that are similar in size and power to what your thinking about buying.
Or
2. Pay a professional Volvo Penta mechanic $200-$500 to check the boat out for you. It is almost always worth it.

RomeoAlpha

Recruit
Muc,

Thank you so much for writing such a detailed response. I really appreciate your expertise.Good to know there are no major occurring faults with the engine. I have had the boat inspected by a 30 year veteran including compression test and sea trial. Overall boat is in excellent condition which is great to hear.

Once again, thanks for sharing your advice.

Kind regards and good on you!
Romeo

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The V6-200-A is the cast iron block and heads, multi-port fuel injected 4.3 liter GM engine that was used for many years in boats, it has proven to be a great engine and I'm not aware of any issues to watch-out for.

The V6-200-G is also a GM 4.3 liter. But it is a completely different engine. It is an aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection with variable valve timing.

These 2 engines have very few parts in common.

I don't spend much time with the V6 engines, I spend a lot more with the V8s. But from talking to the techs who work on both it seems that the V6 and V8 are pretty much the same in terms of how they preform. And these new aluminum, DFI with VVT are way more powerful feeling. They may be rated the same but when you drive them, they feel like they have way more mid-range power. The new engines haven't been in boats long enough to say that they are great yet. But they have been trouble free so far.

My advice to you as a 1st time boat buyer.
Do one of these two things before buying any used boat.
1. Have a friend who has driven at least 4 different boats that are similar in size and power to what your thinking about buying.
Or
2. Pay a professional Volvo Penta mechanic $200-$500 to check the boat out for you. It is almost always worth it.

Wonder why the power is lowered on the 200 A of it’s a mpi GM V6. They were previously 225hp.

muc

Wonder why the power is lowered on the 200 A of it’s a mpi GM V6. They were previously 225hp.

Volvo offers this 4.3 V6 in 200,240 and 280 hp
My guess is for marketing purposes.
MerCruiser offers their 4.5 Mercury block V6 in 200 and 250 hp

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the difference in the 3 power levels is the fueling table

muc

the difference in the 3 power levels is the fueling table

Really? How do they maintain the Stoichiometric Ratio & Equivalence Ratio on a Catalyst Engine? I think they have to stay pretty close to 14.7:1. If you direct inject more or less fuel to change the power output, would't that mess up the cats?
I would have guessed that they use spark timing and variable valve timing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Really? How do they maintain the Stoichiometric Ratio & Equivalence Ratio on a Catalyst Engine? I think they have to stay pretty close to 14.7:1. If you direct inject more or less fuel to change the power output, would't that mess up the cats?
I would have guessed that they use spark timing and variable valve timing.

we are both correct, technically its the FAST table. Fuel, Air, Spark and Timing.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Volvo offers this 4.3 V6 in 200,240 and 280 hp
My guess is for marketing purposes.
MerCruiser offers their 4.5 Mercury block V6 in 200 and 250 hp

Cheers Muc. It used to be 225hp in GXI form I’m sure (mpi). Not too up on anything after them to be fair. I was aware they had a newer version but didn’t think that was the same GM iron block.
cheers and all the best.