Opinions... broken VP LONG POST

Fordfan76

Recruit
Hi there! New to this site, and actually new to boating. Trying to find info and opinions.
2 years ago, my wife and I decided to buy a boat for the first time.
We found a gently used 2003 Larson 180 sei with a 4.3 VP sx-m. The engine only had 47 hours on it, and the rest of the boat and interior were pretty much mint! Very nice shape. We paid $12,500 for it.
Fast forward to August 2019. We were at our favorite lake, Lake Koocanusa which is a dammed lake, and it was lower than usual, we hit an underwater ledge doing 25 mph. I immediately shut down the engine, raised the trim expecting to see the prop ripped off but It wasn’t. Since we were close to camp, and it was late evening, I decided to fire it up and head back to shore.
Pulled it out of the water, and found a nice hole in the bullet of the lower unit. So not only was it physically damaged, but I also ran it with no oil for 3-4 minutes. Yup, seized it up. I’m a rookie!!
Went through insurance, and they wrote it off. $14,500 for a complete out drive and labour to install. We received a cheque for $11,000. But here’s the weird part.. They gave the boat back with no out drive. So we have a nice boat with 58 hours on it, but no outdrive so it’s useless!!
So here’s the question. Do I try to part it out? Or find a used VP outdrive (expensive), or is there a way to convert to a Bravo simply because of cost, or would that cost more in the long run ( drive, transome, cables, etc)
I’m mechanically incline, and I know automotive mechanics, so I feel I can do the work myself to save some money but I’m not familiar with boats.
Not sure what to do!
Sorry for the long post!!

Fordfan76

Recruit
[No message]

Attachments

• photo324269.jpg
    photo324269.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo324270.jpg
    photo324270.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
buy a $3k used outdrive and go boating.

and no, there is no easy way to convert to a Bravo unless you unbolt everything, and replace from pulleys to prop, including the controls

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
converting to a Bravo will cost much more than finding a used or re-man VP SX drive, the Bravo is just about as expensive although more may be available. To do that you've have to:
pull the engine
remove the inner and outer transom mounts
replace with Bravo inner and outer transom mounts
install any other needed Merc parts to make the conversion
JUST NOT WORTH IT!

If your transom mount is OK just get a reman SX drive. Your best, simplest option.

Fordfan76

Recruit
Thank you for the quick responses! I figured that would be the best way to go, a remanufactured VP outdrive!
I guess the search is on!

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Absolutely find a used drive and fix it. Would just ensure the transom housing and seal didn’t get damaged as well.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thank you for the quick responses! I figured that would be the best way to go, a remanufactured VP outdrive!
I guess the search is on!

a reman'd VP drive will cost you almost what a new one is........why, because people dont shop around, and that is what the market will bear. get a used drive, buy a $150 seal kit and the factory manual. plenty of used drives available that need next to nothing. lot of them come from boats that were neglected and the motor was murdered.