F.w.c.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
They have to be otherwise they would be a couple thousand degrees in temp the the exhaust on your car

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Look up the engine in Volvo’s parts diagram and you can figure it out.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
depends on the model, some are some aren't.
the ones with raw water cooling use thermostats to control temp.
When you say new. Do you mean the 2020 model year?

larson260

Seaman
Yes Muc, I mean the newer V8-300-430 CE/DPS. with the plate style heat exchanger. I believe they came out in 2016 and are the 5.4-6.2 liter Chevy. engines. What Lou C sent me is the older engine with the tank type heat exchanger. I don't see these newer engines listed in the engine parts finder.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Closed the other raw water topic you started

Please PM any Mod, flag your own topic or otherwise post a
Please move this topic to the XYZ forum
message and a topic can be moved, rather then starting a duplicate topic

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Yes Muc, I mean the newer V8-300-430 CE/DPS. with the plate style heat exchanger. I believe they came out in 2016 and are the 5.4-6.2 liter Chevy. engines. What Lou C sent me is the older engine with the tank type heat exchanger. I don't see these newer engines listed in the engine parts finder.

All the engines with the plate style exchanger that I have seen are 1/2 systems. But I'm in Minnesota and fresh water cooling isn't necessary here. I don't really pay much attention to what's available other then to learn all the systems and when I see the engine it's pretty easy to tell what cooling system is on it. But if I remember correctly from the classroom, We were told that all GEN V (that's the all aluminum engine with the plate style heat exchanger) engines would have raw water cooled exhaust manifolds. But I haven't been to class for a few years now and cooling systems and fuel systems are constantly changing. Volvo has gone from a temperature controlled catalyst cooling system to a pressure controlled and now back to temp.

Unfortunately The model designation V8-300 and V8-430 have been used on a few engine platforms.
V8-300 could be a chevy 350 cast iron engine that was used for decades or it could be a all aluminum engine with variable valve timing and direct injection.
The V8-430 could be iron block aluminum heads port injection with VVT or the all aluminum direct injection.

Both MerCruiser and Volvo have made engines both ways. The best way to tell is to look at the hoses and where they go. Because a cat exhaust manifold that is fresh water cooled looks the same as one that's raw water cooled.

P.S. The new Volvo cat engines run really strong, they have a VERY powerful mid-range.
You will find a few people that hate the cat engines, but they have a great ability to compensate for minor problems and will warn you well in advance to major issues. A mechanic who understands them finds them much easier and faster to diagnose.

Last edited: