Timing question for my 3.0l Volvo

bignev213

Recruit
Re: Ignition timing on 5.7L

Well, there's no place on the island that sells a vacuum gauge. Now I'm trying to find someone to borrow one from. In the mean time, I have a noise coming from the motor that sounds like an exhaust manifold leak without the ticking noise that accompanies it. I would think this would be a vacuum leak, but the problem is, it seems to be coming from inside the carb.

Splashed the boat and it ran fine, but the timing was still set to 10 btdc. Tried to get timing light on it to retard it, but too much sunlight and couldn't see anything. Didn't want to idle the boat any more before break in, so I ran it around the bay. Seemed to run pretty good but I think the timing is still too far advanced.

We have a volvo Penta petrol engine 3 L 4 cylinder. it's states on the rocker cover to set the timing ignition at 2 degrees after top dead centre but the engine doesn't like to run at this setting as soon as we advance it to about 7 degrees before top dead centre the engine smooth out the engine likes to run at that setting. would you say this is the correct setting or should i leave it at or am I missing out on something ?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,....... I moved yer post to a thread of yer own, in the right forum, insteada that 12 year old antique thread I found it in,............

I wouldn't set it at 7* before, as you'll no doubt burn a hole through a piston in no time flat, that advanced,......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You can run it at 7 degrees BTDC.....only if you run 94 octane or better

Or as Bondo stated, you will burn holes in the pistons

Scott06

Vice Admiral
You risk serious detonation for sure as the others stated. If you have to run it that far advanced to idle something else is wrong like carb needs a rebuild (dumping gas in ) or a vacuum leak. What do the plugs look like

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agreed you need to find out why it will not run properly at the correct timing setting. Advancing it will cause major problems, like burned exhaust valves and blown head gaskets. These engines are known to be sensitive to fuel octane level and timing advance. I always ran my '88 OMC 4.3 V6 at the recommended 6* BTDC and used 93 octane fuel. Never had a problem with pre-ignition or detonation.

bignev213

Recruit
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,....... I moved yer post to a thread of yer own, in the right forum, insteada that 12 year old antique thread I found it in,............

I wouldn't set it at 7* before, as you'll no doubt burn a hole through a piston in no time flat, that advanced,......

thank you mate for moving it i appreciate it. i will show my father all these messaged tomorrow at work and he will reply to you all. thank you for your help, this boat is becoming a nightmare haha, we have spent weeks working on it now. we took it out this morning and put the boat in the water and it would not start, the spark plug has a weak spark, so its back the the work shop AGAIN :( so any information would help us soo soooo much.

bignev213

Recruit
Agreed you need to find out why it will not run properly at the correct timing setting. Advancing it will cause major problems, like burned exhaust valves and blown head gaskets. These engines are known to be sensitive to fuel octane level and timing advance. I always ran my '88 OMC 4.3 V6 at the recommended 6* BTDC and used 93 octane fuel. Never had a problem with pre-ignition or detonation.

ok so what would be the correct timing setting does anybody know of a link they can send me to a page where it explains how to do the timing on a 3 l Volvo Penta 4 cylinder petrol engine. I can't find any information on the timing for this engine any help would be greatly appreciated

Jesse030

Recruit
The timing spec of 2 degrees after tdc is for when you have a shunt plugged into the distributor, and connected to battery positive. the shunt disables the electronic spark advance. The Volvo part number for the shunt is 885163-6. After that is done. Unplug the shunt and check your total advance. As long as its no more than 21 degrees you should be fine.

bignev213

Recruit
The timing spec of 2 degrees after tdc is for when you have a shunt plugged into the distributor, and connected to battery positive. the shunt disables the electronic spark advance. The Volvo part number for the shunt is 885163-6. After that is done. Unplug the shunt and check your total advance. As long as its no more than 21 degrees you should be fine.

Ok thank you mate I will go show dad

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
ok so what would be the correct timing setting does anybody know of a link they can send me to a page where it explains how to do the timing on a 3 l Volvo Penta 4 cylinder petrol engine. I can't find any information on the timing for this engine any help would be greatly appreciated

the proper manual for your motor would have the information in it.

you can view many of the VP manuals here. http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html or you can go to the VP site and get the manuals for your motor, drive, etc.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Are you running the motor at sea level or high elevation, if so, how high ?

Happy Boating