Volvo penta AQAD41A

stevejakeryan

Recruit
Hi everyone
Im new to this forum and thought it would be a great place to start with my restoration and mechanical issues.
My question is.....has anyone removed the diesel injectors from a turbo Diesel engine AQAD41A?
Engine won’t turn or even budge an inch and want to get injectors out and put a penetrative product in the cylinders and hopefully unlock it.....it has a 290DP which also appears to be locked up in the top.
Its a process of elimination at the moment and hope I can get some opinions to work with.
cheers

alldodge

Staff member
Have not removed on your motor, but since the motor won't budge, I would suggest removing the head. The head gasket would need to be replaced afterwards but you would have a better idea of the issues

The diagram shows it has a retaining nut for each injector and keeper (items 41 and 43) which would be removed to pull injector. Would also need to remove the supply and return lines from each

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-7745630-23-19515B.aspx

Bondo

Staff member
Engine won’t turn or even budge an inch and want to get injectors out and put a penetrative product in the cylinders and hopefully unlock it.....it has a 290DP which also appears to be locked up in the top.

Ayuh,....... Welcome Aboard,...... Pull the drive 1st,.....

The motor, 'n drive are mechanically locked together,......
If the drive is locked up, the motor ain't gonna turn over,.....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’ve messed with the injectors on this and the 61a larger engine too. Take off the leak off pipe and fuel rail high pressure pipework to injectors (17mm spanner on the 61s at least). Then you are left with the injectors and collars to get off. They will go and just watch the dust cover seal not don’t drop.

If the 290 drive has been off recently, I’d be tempted to take that off too.

any sign of water in the oil ? That might be hydrolocking ? Presumably the battery is good that you trying to turn it over with ? You’ll struggle to turn it over by hand with the compression these things have. That said. The drive should not be locked up both ways in any situation.