Leaking Power steering fluid into bilge

Shade Tree boy

Seaman Apprentice
Have had this problem for the last few years and still don't know where the leak is coming from. Any ideas on how to isolate the leaky component?

Shade Tree boy

Seaman Apprentice
Something else to note..The pump reservoir was full when I put it up for the winter back in October. Now is empty, so the leak occurs without the engine running.

alldodge

Staff member
Never said what motor

Remove the cooling hose from the cooler and see if fluid is found. It can be tested by applying air pressure to the oil side, try 25 psi

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Clean the engine/bilge pretty good. Lay white oilsorbs or a white sheet in there, run a bit and see where the drips are. Follow them to the leak. I'm betting the lines or pump.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I've heard that the power steering actuator seals on these sometimes leak, and while V/P never released a kit to repair them, someone on here figured out a way to replace the seals that cause the leak. Its way back behind the engine on the starboard side of the transom mount.

Shade Tree boy

Seaman Apprentice
Never said what motor

Remove the cooling hose from the cooler and see if fluid is found. It can be tested by applying air pressure to the oil side, try 25 psi

All Dodge..I removed the entire oil cooler from the engine and tested with pressure per your instructions. I cant identify any leaks. The part looks pretty good. No significant corrosion. Before I re-install this part do you think my local boat shop could test it to be certain the part is good?

Shade Tree boy

Seaman Apprentice
I've heard that the power steering actuator seals on these sometimes leak, and while V/P never released a kit to repair them, someone on here figured out a way to replace the seals that cause the leak. Its way back behind the engine on the starboard side of the transom mount.

Lou C..I read about this too. After close inspection, I can find no evidence of leaks at the actuator. Everything is clean and dry back there.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Check the return lines from the power steering cylinder these are low pressure and will have hose clamps that loosen up over time. Line will go from the cylinder to the cooler on the back of the engine/flywheel cover and back to ps reservoir

my friends boat was loosing fluid like yours and this was the cause. In fact every hose clamp on the engine was loose so needed to tighten up all the cooling lines as well

alldodge

Staff member
All Dodge..I removed the entire oil cooler from the engine and tested with pressure per your instructions. I cant identify any leaks. The part looks pretty good. No significant corrosion. Before I re-install this part do you think my local boat shop could test it to be certain the part is good?

Then your cooler should be good, its one of the other parts as others have mentioned.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a rebuild kit for a saginaw power steering pump is $11 (about $14 at Napa)

power steering return hose is $3/foot at Napa

pressure hose is $50 to have custom made at your local hydraulic shop

actuator is about $80 to have resealed at you local hydraulic shop (uses hydraulic cylinder seals)

Shade Tree boy

Seaman Apprentice
Clean the engine/bilge pretty good. Lay white oilsorbs or a white sheet in there, run a bit and see where the drips are. Follow them to the leak. I'm betting the lines or pump.

I have re-installed the oil cooler and will fire up the engine today using your suggestion above. Will report back!

Thalasso

Commander
Had the same issue. Check you fittings on the cyl and see if the smaller one especially is loose.
They have little o-rings in the fittings. I snugged mine up and no leaks anymore

Use a line wrench. Not a crescent

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Don't know if this could be your issue or not but on my Larson with twin 5.7 VP's the power steering leaks I had where as follows. 1st the steering actuator was leaking it is behind the engine so my first thought was cooler or hose back there but NOPE. 2nd and these always seemed to be an reoccurring issue, the power steering reservoirs would get little pin holes in them, that made it look like there was a line that was loose or leaking. Just something to check.